Finding it hard to get the ball rolling

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by A.Baxter, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

'Buy into' is an interesting turn of phrase in relation to a principle which is the antithesis of just that.
    When it comes to knowing what you're doing yourself and navigating your own path, don't knock ot 'til you've tried it.
    It's not essential to trust everyone in order to succeed and some things are just easier without crowds.
    Take all the negatives into consideration and then move and educate yourself through them. If you were a true estp, you'd know that.

Joynz likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just stating my opinion, others I'm sure have theirs. And my opinion is newbies have a significantly better chance of doing well by engaging a few really good professionals, mostly a good MB, solicitor and accountant, than trying to go it alone. That's based on my past experience and from what I've seen of others . Again, not gospel, just my viewpoint. I'm not going to advocate for a viewpoint I don't believe in.

A.Baxter likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

In my opinion that's not true and newbies often get taken for a ride by business people who convince them that they can't do it on their own. Teach them to fish rather than giving them the fish ....unless you're selling something?
    Just my 2 cents.

Anthony Brew and A.Baxter like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not selling anything. Never have . Just giving my opinion .

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

are you single ?

This form of language ties in well with the OPs concerns over kickbacks ( illegal undisclosed commissions).

At some point, someone needs to trust someone else to help them along, otherwise one does their own P&B, their own Conveyance, their own soil test,their own accounting, use mainly Dr Google unless admitted to hospital etc

ta

rolf

A.Baxter and Jacque like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Why? got someone to introduce to me? :cool:

7. Rolf Latham

hehe

my point is, we all sell

everyday............... even the most mundane simple things woth other humans or organisations are a sale.

ta

rolf

Sackie likes this.
  8. Rolf Latham

My mate ED does a good job here

get your big picture sorted the littler stuff sort itself, or as my business mentors say

Sort they why, the how takes care of itself.

ta
    rolf

Kassy likes this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Buy in Perth and Orange....and make yourself accountable to yourself.

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

In my opinion and experience, a good accountant is critical if you want to progress beyond one or two properties. If your goals are much more simple, you can do it yourself - but I strongly recommend against it for more than that.

A good solicitor or conveyancer is critical if you want to buy anything at all. DO NOT TRY AND DO YOUR OWN CONVEYANCING.

While you can do it without a mortgage broker - again, if you intend to buy anything more than one or two properties, you'll do much better with one than without.

Once you have bought a property, I would also recommend that you engage a property manager to manage it - self managing is certainly possible, but a lot of work and there's a lot of legislation you need to understand to ensure you are doing things right, so best to leave it to a professional in my opinion.

Everything else is optional. I am of the strong opinion that you should not outsource the decision making - just the advice on technical matters which the above will give you. That also extends to using buyers agents - you engage a buyers agent to implement your strategy (ie they find the property that fits the criteria which YOU have defined) - you do not engage a buyers agent to tell you which strategy to use (or worse - to "sell" you a property they've already chosen before they even spoke to you). Be very careful you understand the differences there.

Either way, these should all be independent parties and not work for the same one-stop-shop. You need people who will pull you up and say "hang on - why are you doing this?" or simply tell you that this is not a good idea. These people should all be working _for_ you and your success should be their goal.

Even if you do engage professionals - you should strive to educate yourself as much as possible to ensure that you have at least a basic understanding of how things work. This is the only way you can judge the quality of the advice you are receiving. That is also why this site exists - to help educate people so they can either do it themselves, or judge the quality of the advice they are receiving from the professionals they engage.

In my experience, there are two main ways in which people get themselves into trouble when using professionals:
    1. the blindly put their trust in someone who really doesn't have their best interests at heart and never check that the advice they are receiving is appropriate or reasonable. Typically they haven't taken the time to educate themselves about the process to understand that they are not receiving good advice, or they simply allow themselves to get sucked in by a good sales pitch or a charismatic sales person
    2. they don't understand enough about the process to ask the right questions of their advisers, and so the advice they receive, while technically valid, does not necessarily suit their goals or needs - mostly because they were not able to effectively articulate the specifics to the adviser. Advisers are not mind readers - you need to tell them what you want (although the betters ones are good at asking you good questions to help you along that path - but it helps if you've already thought through those questions in your own time).
    Learn all you can so that you know which questions to ask.

One of the most important things I've learned in life is to not focus on finding the right "answers" ... in many cases you're answering the wrong questions anyway. Focus on finding the right "questions" to ask - the answers will naturally follow. This applies to just about everything in life - learn to ask the right questions.

And the first question to start with is "why". Why are you doing this? Why is this important to you? What outcome do you want - and why? Once you understand why, you can start to work on "what" and the "how", and then eventually get to more specific questions such as "where, when, and even the who" and so on.

I think people who get stuck in analysis paralysis (this was me too, once!) are too focused on these later questions when they don't fully understand the answer to the "why" questions yet. Or they've tried asking why and have only come up with very vague answers such as "because I want to get rich" or "because I want to provide for myself in retirement". I think it helps to get a LOT more specific about the answers. As part of answering "why", you need to paint a pretty detailed picture about what that end result will look like - put actual numbers on things, actual activities you'll be able to do, actual feelings you'll feel. (BTW - these aren't really the "what" questions I talked about asking - the "what" questions relate to the path to achieve the why, not to what the realisation of the why will look like).

It's a bit like mind-mapping. If you're trying to break down a huge task which is very daunting, start by focusing on the end point, then build a layer of ideas and concepts that describe that end point, then for each of those, build suggestions on the things that need to be done to reach that end point, and then for each of those, a list of how you might achieve each of them, and so on. Eventually, you've got this huge chart where the outermost points are quite simple steps - each of which should be relatively easy to implement on their own.

It's like the old joke - "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" (it's a metaphor - we're not talking about actually eating an elephant!! :eek: ) ... it means "How do you start a task which seems overwhelming? You break it down in to lots of really small tasks and tackle them one at a time".

Kassy, Hosko, A.Baxter and 5 others like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

High Distinction mark for your answer Simon. Everybody on the forum should read it.

Kassy likes this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Nice excuse, but you have 7 days in a row off, so surely you can inspect any property of interest in that time?!
    I find house hunting on weekdays better than on the weekend, which is something you can do now, but wouldn't be able to do in a 9-5 job.

13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

AMEN to that @Simon Hampel and well said :)

I also agree with @Rolf Latham when he says at some point you have to actually trust someone if you aren't doing the work yourself. If outsourcing any service, ask for references/past clients, do your research and ask lots of questions to ensure you're happy before engaging.

14. Rolf Latham

This

most people in my and allied industries arent mind readers............ great point, they arent heart readers either.

The REAL issue I find is, that MOST people know what they DONT want, but have little clear or specific vision about what they DO want, and most "advisors" dont know how to help the client with same.

So we end up with something which ultimately is at the request of the client, which sort of makes topical sense and sounds ok at a BBQ, but which doesnt really serve them. Typically, we end with the "Service End User" controlling the advice................... much of the time. As an adviser, the worst thing you can often do for someone is to be an "order taker" and implementer

Being mindful that most peops that endup at PC AND do a little bit of "self work" will usually end up with more clarity.

Your Intention does not determine your outcome - your path does

ta
    rolf

A.Baxter likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Absolutely - I should qualify my statement with the understanding that I think you should be telling your adviser/service provider "I want to do X" and I think the service provider should then be asking a LOT of questions to make sure that X is actually what they really want/need (or they should already have an understanding based on previous engagement) and to point out any flaws, roadblocks or consequences of doing that.

If your service provider does nothing more than perform tasks for you - you may as well just outsource all of that somewhere else for the lowest cost, because there is no real value add there.

That's why I don't use online services or the cheapest priced provider for these things - the advice and expertise you get from an experienced adviser / service provider is generally worth every cent you pay them above and beyond the cheaper providers.

One of the biggest mistakes I made early on in my investing career - I went to my accountant (not my current accountant) and told him what I wanted him to do. We didn't have the close working relationship that I have with my current accountant - and so his response was "I don't think this is the best move - but I can see your heart is set on this and you're going to do it anyway, and who knows - it may just work out" - and so we proceeded and I lost a lot of money in the deal.

What he should have (ideally) said is "Simon, you're an idiot - you've done no real research - you don't know what you're getting yourself into - you don't understand the risks - go think about this some more before you tell me that you want to proceed". It takes a really good relationship with your advisers for them to be comfortable telling you what you probably don't want to hear, but sometimes need to. Even if it's just "have you considered the following risks?" - just to provide some checks and balance to your decision making process and to cover things you may not have thought of.

Kassy, Gockie and A.Baxter like this.
  16. A.Baxter

A.Baxter Member

Thanks everyone so far! I need to more clearly define my 'why' and ' why property' more than "I want to be wealthy and live comfortably without the worry of lack of money" + numerous motorbikes and time to ride hem would be nice! :p
    Stocks are too volatile for me and I do not understand them or have a desire to understand them as nothing is in my control - I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Thinks like index funds I still don't know much about and I see it as more of a safe bet, not a path to wealth.

A mortgage broker will be my first port of call once I have defined my 'why' and reasoning properly.

Thats encouraging to know :)

I am an Exploration Geologist working for an Iron Ore company.

I have been educating myself on property on and off for the past year. Relationship issues put a hold on it for a while but those days are gone and Im looking to get back into it. I will be looking to outsource various works but will always understand why and how things will be done - not outsourcing the education and understanding.

Out of curiosity I took that personality test and turns out I am a ESTJ-A - Executive Personality.. So could be worse.

Side note: Good to hear we have some Property Couch listeners on here :p A lot of the metaphors being used :D

Very fair point, but so far this year I have had 4 days off in Perth, I also do some office work when needed :/ I hope to get more days off starting end of this month and I can really start to arrange meetings with brokers, PC meetups and look at properties!

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

How many people have their team in place before buying property one ?

You need legal help based in the state of the property and a bank loan - that is about it.

Everything else can come later - all this stuff makes it harder to start.

Put all you attention in finding what you want to buy and getting yourself ready to act.

All this other stuff can wait until your further down the track - focus on making money from property now.

We got a broker after property 5 but that is about it.

Most of the people on here are advisors so it is like asking the barber if I need a haircut.

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Regarding renos or any value add projects to profit from, also cost out what a reno would cost using outsourced Labour and what return you would need to get a profit with CGT. A team is good as long as you know what to twll/ask them.

19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Excellent. In that case you could either do it on your own or outscource to your heart's content because no-one will want to mess with you! :p And you guys are really good at managing people.
    I reckon you could just as easily jump in the deep end and take it step by step, too.

20. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Not really. It's more like asking if it's worth cutting my own hair vs using a professional hairdresser.

I've cut my own hair before, and let's just say the results were sub-standard - maybe worth the risk when the transaction is worth $50 but when it's hundreds of thousands of dollars, the mistakes can be very costly.