Finding a sales agent

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by ibizzle, 12th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ibizzle

ibizzle Member

Fellas,

Been a lurker for a while but first time poster here.

I’m looking at potentially selling off my investment property house in the northern suburbs of Melbourne in a couple months time but figured I should start to think about how I can make that happen.

A few questions..

Should I ‘interview’ a few agents that seem to be active in the area?

What sort of questions should I ask – previous sold properties, marketing strategy, buyer database?

Also - On the commission front, i've seen 2% + gst as 'standard' - is that negotiable? Are there additional costs like marketing, photography etc that they will charge.

I know they will try to screw me over so I’d like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks. This will be my first interaction dealing with a selling agent.

Regards

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Whilst I have previously stated that I am not huge fan of Vendor Advocacy: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97758
    I understand it is quite a deal more prevalent with Victorian buyers agents and may be something for you to consider in using one that performs this kind of service?

Alternatively, there will many posters who will give you some good pointers if you want to DIY the selling agent selection process.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Definitely! Check out recent sales and talk to the agents that have good results.

Yes... and you can also ask their opinion on a possible sale price for your property. Take it with a grain of salt and back it up with your own market research.

These are things to ask the agent. This is a service I feel is worth paying for though. In Perth, when I sold, I interviewed a range of agents ranging from dirt cheap to very expensive. I actually picked one of the more expesive agents and he sold for higher than the other's promised. The price premium on sale was higher than the difference in commission, so totally worth it IMO.

It depends on who you are dealing with, but this is not my experience.

Good luck! I am looking to sell in Melbourne later this year too, so I'm going through the same process as you. Are you thinking of going to auction?

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.