Financially free at 32 – My 10 year property journey

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Jack Chen, 15th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

I'll take you up on that offer! I private messaged you.

2. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Ultimately our primary focus will be spending time with our son before he goes to school. We are travelling to Europe later this year and will be free to do more of that. Beyond that, knowing that I am my own master brings me great joy. I have a career that has been rewarding but this can't compete with the ability to live an autonomous life. Getting a balance between family, friends, travel, leisure and being able to 'work' at taking care of my financial interests wins hands down compared to working.

In the short term I will be occupied taking care of my real estate portfolio and building my share portfolio. I've a site that is yet to be developed and I'll look to getting DA for that.

Like you I'm more than happy to let the properties compound in the background. Patience is very important and for the time being I'm happy to continue riding this wave. However, I am getting closer to selling down part of the portfolio. I'm very curious about what will happen in Melbourne and Sydney over the next year or two.

Chris Au and Jack Chen like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

4. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Congrats on achieving what you have at a relatively young age :).

Your portfolio is about cashflow neutral. What would you do to be able to 'retire' from your IT job, and still have cash to service your current and future lifestyle?

Skuttles likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Obviously an avocado farmer. :cool:

The Y-man

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

I sense a move into avocado broking

jefn89 likes this.
  7. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be slightly positive, factoring in on-paper depreciations at tax time? From the Domain article the repayments are $9k/mth and rental is $12k/mth, so $3k in the positive - bit less after rates, fees etc.

Still, a great position to be in. $25-30k a year of money that arrives in the bank account like magic.

8. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

Hi @Jack Chen thanks for the reply. My understanding was that you dont need to go through all the paperwork as it's just using a redraw? the separate loan splits seems like a better option for me, particularly given the higher rates associated with a line of credit

9. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words! Its been great working with you for your last purchases.

Having clients like you and seeing the progress first hand is a constant inspiration for me to further my own personal goals and take action!

Ready when you are for the next ones :)

Rachellb123 likes this.
  10. Stuart 2128

Stuart 2128 New Member

Hi Jack, Congratulations on your achievements. Do you plan on becoming a broker or consulting, it would be great to have someone with your experience to look at my current position and help with a property investment strategy/ give advice?

jefn89 likes this.
  11. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Great investment journey, Jack. Consistent actions with a little bit of luck lead to financial freedom in a such young age. The online business, share investment and mini retirement make the story more interesting than other property investors:)

Jack Chen likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

There are lots of people on here that can help you. Keep reading the forums and you'll learn heaps!

Perthguy and Zoolander like this.
  13. Jack Chen

Hi @Bunbury it sounds like you've managed to achieve quite alot over the years, which has now created options for you. It also sounds like you're optimising for happiness, which I absolutely applaud. Hearing your story gives me a lot of confidence I'm on the right track.

How does one know they've reached the sell down part of the portfolio? Is it when you've rode the wave long enough and now want to convert equity into other asset classes for income?

14. Jack Chen

I briefly described it in my original post:

I'll just add to that it's the knowledge that I'm firmly in consolidation phase, and on the cusp of sell down phase that's given the confidence to wind back to part-time and to explore other business opportunities. I've always had a vision for myself to be my own boss. I don't intend on retiring anytime soon.

Even if I don't convert equity to cashflow, the fact that I could survive on barista pay and still afford to keep the portfolio compounding in the background gives me alot of comfort and security.

Last edited: 19th May, 2017
  15. Jack Chen

Hi @Stuart 2128 I'm not licensed to give specific investment advice but more than happy to catch up with you to discuss potential options. I'll PM you.

Tranquilo and Ace Ventura like this.
  16. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Well done @Jack Chen! More proof that working hard and having the right attitude can help you reach your goals.

jefn89, Perthguy and Jack Chen like this.
  17. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Not licensed... yet :p

legallyblonde and Jack Chen like this.
  18. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

There's a misperception for many here that retiring equates to doing nothing. In my view, retiring means not being tied down by a 9-5 job and having the freedom to pursue what you want - starting own business, travel, study, dedicate to family, charity work, etc. Also your partner has to have the same mindset and be on board.

We are cashflow positive that we don't need to work. However, the missus is always stressing out of the 'missed opportunities' to make more money from working. She still doesn't understand even when I tell her that our cashflow position is the equivalent of someone working full-time and earning $200k salary. It may be a different story with the kids starting private school soon though.

Jack Chen, Bunbury, Kassy and 3 others like this.
  19. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I've noticed this too.
    Retirement should be when your life starts so you can do all the things you want to do.
    I think retirement is too traditionally linked to old age, **ck that, retire young and enjoy the choices financial freedom provides.

Jack Chen, Bunbury, Redwing and 6 others like this.
  20. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

maybe 'leave the rat race' is a better phrase?

Kassy, bob shovel and Gockie like this.