Financial/Tax Structuring help

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by masterjoe91, 6th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. masterjoe91

masterjoe91 Member

My investment strategy is to build a portfolio of high net, cash-flow positive properties. The average property current market value will most likely sit around 200-300k mark.

I'm fresh into the property investing world, no debts, no cc, no dependencies. 6 figure equity base ready to go. 155k PAYG.

What i need advise on is how to financially structure myself for maximum safety and maximum tax efficiency.

Do i keep it all under my personal name? do i move into trust(s)? do i establish a company?

I'm fully expecting high net positive cash-flows from the properties i purchase, capital gains is not the focus of the portfolio strategy, if i get 3% growth per year over the long run that's just icing on the cake.

I hear if i go into trusts etc i can't make tax deductions against my PAYG tax etc.

Obviously a bit of a newbie on the finance/tax side, any help/guidance/advise would be much appreciated :)

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It all depends.

Ideally you would have every asset in a discretionary trust with the income going to a bucket company. But you have to factor in land tax and factors other than tax.

Changing ownership now would also trigger CGT and duty again.

Have a read of my legal and tax tips - structuring is legal advice mainly.

masterjoe91 likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I would take a punt that if the props are high + cash flow, they probs wont have large depreciation, thus there wont be any tax deductions............. indeed the trust will have income to distribute.

A trust may still limit deductions that can be claimed when applying for finance, and if you are intending to stretch yourself to xx properties, then id really have a chat with a good investment focussed broker to ensure that your chosen structures aid you, not limit you.

ta
    rolf

4. masterjoe91

masterjoe91 Member

Thanks Terry, i've had a read of a few of your tax tips, will dig deeper and go through them all soon :) By the way, how does one seek official advise from you?

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Send me an email with a brief outline of what you want advice on and I will see if it is something that I can advise on. I charge $660 for a 2 hour consult. Best to read as many tips as you can before hand so you will have a better grasp of some of the issues.

6. masterjoe91

masterjoe91 Member

Thanks Terry :) i'll get myself prepared.

Terry_w likes this.