Financial Planner

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by RS Gumby, 14th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

My wife and I are looking at retirement in the next 5 years and are looking at employing a FA to help us make sure we're on the right path. We won't be investing much more in property, maybe a bit more in shares and we salary sacrifice in Super already. Just want advice on the path we're going down and how to maximize the final years of our working life.
    Any recommendations from those on the forum?
    Cheers

2. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Hi @RS Gumby , there is property chats very own @Alex Straker who I would personally recommend.

I was with an advisor prior to Alex for 3 years. While on this site late last year I came across Alex. Another member recommended I talk to him as I was questioning my current advisor arrangement. After speaking to Alex on the phone only twice I was very impressed with his knowledge and his understanding of what I was looking at achieve.

Have been working with him for almost 10 months now and can say I am very happy with our journey so far.

would recommend you at least reach out to him and have a chat. He is Qld based and I am Sydney based but that hasn’t been an issue for me. We regularly communicate over phone and email.

3. RS Gumby

Thanks Big A will do

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

# 1 and RS Gumby like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

An independent FP is hard to identify with under the Corporations Act rules imposed by ASIC. They cant receive commissions etc. Many dont but may receive fees....That can be misleading. Many therefore will charge a fee for service or a fixed fee. They may still receive product fees however - And some of these can still be asset based and still be OK and not a commission. What ? Confused ? Yeah.

Then there are independently owned practices with no ties to product issuers etc. eg AIOFP members

How independent is any adviser who may be paid a fee to recommend something ? They may already be bound to serve the clients best interests and offer a choice. It may also be more expensive to use such an adviser and yet the advice may be no more independent that say a adviser who recommends a panel of products which all pay the same product fee eg life insurance. This is the typical mortgage broker style model. So will the independence save you money ?

Redwood likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Check out

The Profession of Independent Financial Advisers
    The Profession of Independent Financial Advisers guides Australians on how to find Financial Advisers who practice without incentive, and without conflicts. It also educates and promotes the Gold Standard of Independence™ for Financial Advisers in Australia.
    PIFA

Ross Forrester likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Is that like PIPA ?

ta
    rolf

8. Terry_w

Nothing like PIPA!

9. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

# 1, RS Gumby and Terry_w like this.
  10. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Hi Terry, I had a look at Kyle's website and it seems he's classified as an independent financial planner because he doesn't take commissions. Is that the main requirement to be considered independent?

Does anyone know if Alex Straker is also considered an independent financial planner?

11. Terry_w

There are other requirements too. The word 'lmdependant' is regulated under the corporation's law for financial advisors so they can't use the word without being truely independent. The licence holder must also not be affiliated with product providers in any way such as being related to a bank or insurance company.

I think Kyle is a reader of this forum don't know if he wants to comment or not

Ross Forrester and # 1 like this.
  12. Terry_w

Search on PIFA to see if someone is a member or not. But keep in mind that not being a member doesn't necessarily mean they are not independent. They could be independent but not be a member

Ross Forrester and # 1 like this.
  13. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll check out that site. I'm looking for someone who can guide me to sell property and invest the proceeds into something that can provide a better return.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. MoneyMan

MoneyMan Well-Known Member

Why do you want to sell property?

15. RS Gumby

#1 did you end up finding a Financial planner?

16. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I'd rather not but I want to get a better return.

17. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Not yet, been busy with other things but I'll look into it soon.

18. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Only deal with a financial planner if they are independent impartial and unbiased. The corps act defines those words.

Don’t take alternate forms of those words - it is like somebody telling your there product is a genuine imitation.

if a person, and their associated entities, is independent impartial an unbiased they are an advisor. Otherwise you have a person selling product - apartments, home loans, bonds, managed funds, shares or property.

Bunbury and Terry_w like this.
  19. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

So if a FA/P has a Restriction due to license, does that mean they get commission in recommending products on top of a SOA fee?

" I am restricted by my licensee to recommend only products that have been researched and approved for use. "

20. Terry_w

No. Commissions were banned years ago

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia