Financial Freedom Finally !

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 14th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm just going to say... today, two of my work colleagues said to me (and in totally separate conversations mind you):

"What you doing here. You should retire!"

Well, don't quite have the cashflow yet (unless I go live somewhere ultra cheap or Airbnb fulltime*), but they were nice comments.
    :D:p

Also incredibly, lots of my colleagues havent heard of Airbnb.

*Actually "Airbnbing full time" could be a goer.
    I reckon even just no more than half a dozen Airbnb properties would be enough to sustain me VERY well...

sanj and Sackie like this.
  2. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Hi @Gockie. What sort of locations are you airbnbing in?

I have kind of a dream myself to build several townhouses on the Gold Coast and move into one of those while airbnbing the rest.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You possibly could! I'm just Airbnbing near Redfern and in West Ryde. The interesting thing is I've found is that I have no issues with vacancies. They are rarely vacant and that surprised me completely.
    I think start with 1 property, see how it goes. If it's going well, add a second. And so on. .

Kate Moloney, Sackie and Observer like this.
  4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

My colleagues think I am battler and struggling to make ends meet. That's the image I want to portray and want to pull a ninja when I can announce I am leaving!

Tim86, Adele, bob shovel and 7 others like this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I dont know why I do it.
    We have just had another round of reduncies, so everyone is a bit nervous. I commented that I dont really care, I probably wont see the end of this project anyway - though I would like another year or two.
    He asked 'what am I planning to do when I leave'. Me and my big gob pipped up and said "oh, nothing, maybe take an extended trip for a year or two - then think about what I want to do".
    This lead onto the usual hour long debate about how its not possible blah blah blah. He even tried to demonstrate his lack of understanding on the white board, and proved himself correct (he doesnt understand at all).

Hes about 40. Double income, no kids. Between the two of them they probably make US$300-$500k after tax. And thinks he needs to keep working till 55+. Suprisingly he isnt a 'flashy' guy either. No nice cars, expensive lifestyle.

Now when ever I see him he asks "you still here, I thought you would have retired by now..ha ha"
    Really... I should learn to keep my mouth shut.

Blacky

bob shovel and ellejay like this.
  6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

It's human emotion and once people know that you are 'well off', people become funny and jealous. Not saying everyone is like that but these days with the workplace becoming tougher and the benchmark going further, I personally believe it's not a smart thing to announce to colleagues of your situation. It's like playing a game of card, you are not going to announce your hand until the timing is perfect.

I think that with divorce occurring more frequently around me, where people are losing/ splitting assets which they have been building for years, I feel it is irresponsible.

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Ditto...human nature....you see people turn green with envy and you become a target.

Even some on this forum are known to show their green side....

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.