Finance for IP number 3

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Becky, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

I have my first 2 IP loans with reduce home loans (both offset, 3.84%, slightly negatively geared)
    I’m hoping to buy 2 more IPs this year before negative gearging risks the chop (by sepearately refinancing the first two IPs)
    Should I spread my IPs across different lenders? Reduce is cheap but there are high exit and refinance fees.
    Also when would I start to consider other finance structures e.g. SMSF

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

What's the LVR?
    Rate should rarely be a deciding factor
    SMSF is not a finance structure

3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Depends on a number of things and the major one especially these days is borrowing capacity. For most people this dictates what lenders they use and what stages in their property purchase plan.

Once you purchase more and more properties - interest rate becomes less important and strength your borrowing capacity becomes more important. That and other policy/product specific niches such as cash out policy, debt recycling, etc.

4. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

They’re both around 80% based on previous valuations and the plan is to refinance up to 80% on current valuations to buy IPs 3 and 4

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if rate is the primary focus, then rate is the primary focus.

many of these types of loans carry LMI even at the 80 % lvr level, and thus you May be stuck with the LMI providers calculaor which may or may not work.

Sounds to me, that your progress could be hindered since you will only get ONE valuers opinion on the vals.

Typically, with a client like you, a valuer shop across different lenders may result in a much better outcome...........

Im assuming you dont have a million spare cash lying round and are reliant on the vals ?

ta
    rolf

6. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply Rolf. You are correct - I'm reliant on equity in existing IPs so valuation is crucial. Reduce/mortgage ezy charge $250 for the valuation up front to tie the borrower in from the start.
    Another issue is mortgage ezy charge $1000 to access the equity - not sure if this is a standard cost.
    Given my plan is to keep going on this journey (5+ IPs) I clearly need to get a bit more savvy at this point and can't just be lured in by low rates (although clearly that is also a factor).
    I'm keen to engage a mortgage broker but a bit overwhelmed by all the options.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

this is a common challenge.

there are 17 000 of us :)

Have a general chat with some and see how they feel, then choose.

Commonly, overwhelm is caused by a lack of certainty of what one is looking for in a broker.

If you can get some clarity for that for yourself, it may make that choice very clear.

ta

rolf

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Rolf is a broker I have used for many many years - and highly recommend - just beware that dry humour

Becky likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Becky,
    Do you have a PPOR currently or are you renting? If you're renting, and you believe you eventually will want to buy a home, planning out your purchases is going to be really important. The last thing you want to do is achieve your 5 IP's, only to find there's no capacity to buy a home at the end of it. :)

10. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

this is often a problem with investors AFTER they picked a lender /lenders without knowing what problems they may have with these types of lenders. but if it is done, it is done.

have a chat with brokers on the forum, I am sure many of us can help you with it.

and welcome to PC @Becky

11. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

this is such a common issue with the strategy of "rent-invest", when ppl realise they need to buy their PPOR, they need either increase their income SIGNIFICANTLY or reduce their debts significantly ( by selling part of the portfolio)