Finance for 1st home renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by david_fintech, 29th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. david_fintech

david_fintech Well-Known Member

The suburb that I am searching into has pretty old house and design. Wifey has a keen pair of eyes and acceptable options have been limited to her so far.

We start considering buying a old house and perform a major structural renovation including but not limited to reflooring, renovating bathroom and repainting completely interior/exterior. We would want to get these jobs done right after settlement and before moving in while continuing to stay in our current rented place.

We have been pre-approved for 1.5mil. If we can purchase a house of around 1.35mil, is it possible for me to get an loan of 150K to finance our reno immediately after settlement? If so, do we need to get the full renovation quote from licensed builder before applying for the loan? Given there is no major change for the floorplan, I suppose I don't need to get any council DA approval

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Only if less than 90% lvr or using a building contract

3. david_fintech

david_fintech Well-Known Member

We are currently pre-approved for 90%. Buying at 1.35mil obviously brought us lower than 90% but we will get right back to 90% if we can get the construction loan. Is this possible then?

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

You will need to provide a full building contract with specs and drawings ( if any changes to floorplan - like taking out non structural walls) and progress payment Schedule

Are you going to be paying LMI or have an LMI waiver ?

The reason I ask is that if you are paying LMI, you may be stuck with a poor val from the existing lender.

ta
    rolf

Lindsay_W likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It might be better to go 90% LVR from the beginning and use the cash.
    This is something you need specific advice on.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Best engage a good broker to structure this correctly for you

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia