Finance advice wanted

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Somepropertyguy, 27th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Somepropertyguy

Somepropertyguy Member

Hi,

I'm looking at potential options and general opinion about my home mortgage

We're about to revert back to standard variable and am wondering what my best bet might be before locking in again. We're looking at a 2yr at 1.97% but could there be something much better available to us? It's important we have an offset attached (or whatever they call it nowadays, so that savings offset interest on the loan account)

Thanks guys

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hey, and welcome to the forum :) Fixed loans generally don't have offset accounts, so you might be better off with a split loan - part fixed, part variable.

1.97% is pretty good - not the complete lowest, but still very good.

Somepropertyguy likes this.
  3. Somepropertyguy

Somepropertyguy Member

Thanks Jess!

I actually do currently have a split loan, with the variable portion almost maxed out on offset.

We have been happy with the lender so guessing it's a pretty good deal and probably should lock it in

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Get some proper advice. we don't know all the details such as whether the interest is deductible, remaining loan term etc.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Fixed loans are generally cheaper than variable and 1.97% is very good. However it is only for 2 years. A longer fixed term with a higher rate might be more cost effective in the long run.

Using very simple math:

For a loan of $100,000 at 1.97%, you'll pay $1970 / year interest. It will cost you $3940 over 2 years.
    Then the loan might revert to a variable rate of 2.60% and it will cost you $2600 each subsiquent year.
    Thus over 3 years, the interest cost of this loan would be $6540.

The same $100,000 on a 3 year fixed rate of 2.15% would cost $2150/year, a total of $6450 over the same 3 year period.

This relies on a number of assumptions and I don't know what rate alternatives you may be looking at, but it would be worthwhile running through some scenarios like this before making the decision.

Keep in mind the general expectation is that rates will all be higher in a few years, so there may be a lot of merit in longer fixed periods even if it comes with a higher rate. It may save you more in the long run.

Redwood likes this.
  6. Somepropertyguy

Somepropertyguy Member

Can I also ask, if we sold in a year let's say, how do they calculate break costs on fixed again? I used to be property savvy but haven't in a long time

Thanks guys

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The lender uses voodoo magic to look at the agreed fixed rate v's the present market rate for same product for the remaining term and the applicable balance subject to the remaining term. If the remaining rate is less than the fixed they will calculate the loss based on this. The shorter the period and the narrower the spread the lower the cost. Especially since many short fixed rates have narrowed v variable rates. eg 1-2 year rates are quite low v variable.

Most lenders include a PDS that explains this and includes examples when loans are fixed . Part of their disclosure obligations.

8. Peter_Tersteeg

They have a forumla which takes into account the current rates and the rates you fixed on. This may not be the actual fixed rate, but the cost of funding.

In short, you're unlikely to be able to calculate the exit cost yourself, you need to call the bank on any given day for what the figure actually is. As a general rule, if rates are lower than what you paid, it will cost you money. If rates are higher than what you paid it will cost nothing.

9. Somepropertyguy

Somepropertyguy Member

So if rates were higher than I was locked in at there would likely be no break cost?

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Probably not, but you don't know the actual variables from one day to the next. Hence you need to ask the bank for the actual figure.

11. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

There are a few lenders offering fixed rate loans with offset accounts, they have some 2 & 3 year fixed rates of around 1.95% - 2.00% with the offset attached - you need to seriously consider if it's in your best interest to fix, especially if you are planning on selling in 12 months time, there are some OK 1 year fixed rates with offset as well.

Somepropertyguy likes this.
  12. Somepropertyguy

Somepropertyguy Member

Thanks Linds' they sound like a really excellent product. I'm wondering what rates might do short-mid term but am expecting them to stay at record lows rather than go anywhere. I think property is priced so high now compared to income that any rises will see pretty catastrophic consequence and they'd head back down quickly. Actually have been tipping they'll stay low forever now as the new normal

We're not planning on selling, but you just never know. Guess I just don't like being locked into things but do like the lowest rate

Lindsay_W likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia