QLD Finally. Yes finally the Brisbane market is picking up

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 24th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Toon, Bran, Dan Donoghue and 3 others like this.
  2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Interesting they reckon Corinda went up nearly 40% and then they say that there were a couple of high end sales which may have skewed the results. but they're talking median so that should have had no impact. I'm a bit confused

Frazz likes this.
  3. Whitecat

big max likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We had another massive day volume wise yesterday, although we had a large amount out of North QLD (even more than Brisbane, but this unlikely to be case over the week). Gold Coast was strong as was Sunshine Coast followed closely by Logan.

Toon, big max, Whitecat and 2 others like this.
  5. GalacticExplorer

GalacticExplorer Well-Known Member

I get that gold coast is doing well economically, but so is Brisbane, I would like to understand the rationale, why an investor would choose gc over bris given an equal budget.

As you can see I am 60% of the way towards dropping the hammer on bris.

6. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Just drop it, it gets heavy and mentally draining if you don't :)

7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Been speaking to a few agents in my areas and they reckon the market is hot (obviously biased!) but I've called up multiple times to enquire about properties and they're under contract within the first week. Things are looking up. Hopefully a good year ahead.

big max, Observer and Whitecat like this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

GC is very very strong. I haven't pulled the trigger this cycle because I'm not convinced that it is separate from the oversupply/tourism link that led to its property downfall in the past. I'm pretty sure it's about ready to stand on it's own two feet in terms of alternative business, just not very sure.

My old man just sold a property in Broadbeach waters for a very, very good price however it still took nearly two months to sell. Buying back into Mermaid Waters or Coomera Waters with a bigger house or pocket change.

I'm hesitating on another Brisbane buy this week... but that's only because i'm signing a commercial contract as well, all in Brisbane. I'm very Brisbane exposed!

samiam and kierank like this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

People this should not be a surprise...and also a predictor of things to come for Sydney market.

Very shortly money will move from Sydney/Inner Melbourne to Brisbane as people pursue better value markets.

Also..the immigration rates to Brissie are not too shabby either.

10. Whitecat

Brisbane is a safer place than the Gold Coast always has been always will be provided you get close to the CBD that is because there's more diverse demand drivers.
    If you didn't know either market particularily well then out of Brisbane all the Gold Coast I would go Brisbane.
    The Gold Coast has a history of Boom bust Cycles. However overall anyone with anything close to the water has done well over the long term that's for sure. With the Commonwealth Games happening at the moment and with some parts of the Gold Coast being very flat for a very long time there are strategic pockets on the Gold Coast where you would probably make some quite good money @big max has quite a few ideas about where those are and are not.

11. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

some anecdotal evidence of migration to Brisbane - i know of two couples who are moving up from Sydney to Brisbane because they want to own a PPOR. One already put an offer on a house in Deception Bay, and another are renting until they find a place. they arent affected by work - they get to work from home and just need to fly down to Sydney every so often. lucky!

12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My new tenants in Brisbane have just moved over from Perth and have their own business. I'm going to a 'good-bye' party tomorrow for hubby's workmates returning to Gold Coast. Quite a few have left Perth already.

big max likes this.
  13. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2017
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Mel_C that link doesn't work for me.

15. GalacticExplorer

GalacticExplorer Well-Known Member

That's interesting, what kind of net yields would you guys expect from inner Brisbane houses(10km radius) of CBD? I would say 4.5%?

It seems to me like Brisbane is sinking with all of its flood zones, even though it probably isn't sinking.

16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

WE'RE ALL GONNA BE RICCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

17. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

18. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

19. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Just had a chat with my work colleagues. They are not into property. However a number of them mentioned that Brisbane looks cheap compared to Sydney and that people they know either already moved to Brisbane or considering moving. Haven't heard such talks from them before. Things definitely start to heat up. Hope I'll still be able to grab one more IP mid this year before the market moves a lot.

Sackie and See Change like this.
  20. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

It's going to Auction ... I'm going to say they are gunning for $750.