Finally...purchased our home!

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Gurtofen, 14th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gurtofen

Gurtofen Well-Known Member

Well after nearly 2 and half years of looking on and off for our own home...my wife and I have finally found the right property and purchased one here in Adelaide and the contracts have been signed.

Building and pest inspection is booked in for Monday afternoon and the cooling off period finishes on Tuesday night at midnight. Hopefully there will be no real issues from the BPI but any advice on the best way to handle any problems that may pop up if that happens?

Any advice on any other things you can think of that need to be considered before now and the end of cooling off? Settlement will be in 60 days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in case I have forgotten anything prior to cooling off.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Congrats :D
    Only thing I'd do over is to write a list of all the reasons the purchase works for you today.
    That way when you are suffering buyers remorse you can refer to the list and reassure yourself that you did the right thing (and did it well) ;)

significance likes this.
  3. Gurtofen

Thanks Stoffo....yeah think the purchase was a good one and hopefully everything is sweet come Tuesday and looking forward to putting our spin on the property :)

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

congratulations @Gurtofen, I am sure you and wife are excited, exciting time ahead.

re the BP report, quite often the inspector puts the worst case scenarios in the report ( to protect themselves), don't be scared by it, give the inspector a call and have a chat with the inspector. you may have a different view of the property. in case there are some reported issues, it could be a chance for you to negotiate price reduction with the vendor.

and also banks are taking longer time to assess loan applications, be prepared and let your solicitor know you might need extension on cooling off or finance.

5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Well done!

What suburb did you purchase in?

6. Gurtofen

Thanks mate...it was in Greenwith. Cooling off finishes at midnight tonight so nearly done and dusted!

2FAST4U likes this.
  7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We did a similar thing - looked for years before buying....best decision we ever made!

I'm sure after that amount of research yourw place will rock your world too.

Congrats!

8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Nice suburb not too far away from me.

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If you are borrowing a bunch of money for non ded purposes, look at a product that may allow active debt recycling in the future when you do some research on the concept

Too many moving parts to make a call like that now, so perhaps use a flexible structure that will help with that

ta
    rolf

10. Gurtofen

Yeah thanks Rolf....will be looking to take advantage of our equity so will more than likely use the services of Terry W for structuring advice when we are ready to go.