Final Price with extra 10%

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Mr Burns, 4th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

I'm curious if this is a normal thing. I put down a 0.25% deposit on a vacant block of land. The agent said $500k was the price and we agreed on it. My solicitor reviewed the contract and found that GST is added on top. The agent was misleading and did not disclose that the price is now $550k.

I thought if you buy a house or land the price you agree on is the final price but apparently they can add more on top. If I pull out of cooling off I lose my 0.25%, but then if I stay I have to pay an extra 50k.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What is in the contract? You surely would have read it before entering into it?

3. Mr Burns

Yeh I read it, seemed normal to me. It was the GST section didn't have any boxes ticked.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Perhaps your solicitor was negligent if they didn't advise you on this before signing.
    Was there any special conditions about GST?

5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

It’s highly unlikely you’ll have any recourse against the agent. The contract is no doubt clear on how GST is to be dealt with. You should speak with your solicitor if they didn’t advise you on the GST before you signed.

6. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Is this common in Victoria? i.e. if I see a vacant block for sale for x amount, should I assume I need to add 10%?

7. Mr Burns

Ok thanks guys.

8. Mr Burns

No but it can be hidden in the contract.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Good example of why you seek legal advice BEFORE signing anything. However Australian Consumer Law (ACL) does not allow GST to be added to a contracted price. The contract price may include GST or not but it doesnt change the price. Its illegal to indicate a price and then include terms or fine print that add GST. Many states have different ways to ensure this is clear and compliant.

In Victoria the standard contract includes a GST clause (general condition 13) that clearly specifies the GST in this box :

GST (general condition 13)
    The price includes GST (if any) unless the words ‘plus GST’ appear in this box:

Link to this doc : https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/lib...ts/sample-contract-of-sale-of-real-estate.doc
    Hence if the page says "plus GST" its very simple to understand.

However if the agent was selling the property by mention of $500,000 then a breach of ACL may have occurred leading to the making of the contract. Its misleading and deceptive conduct and may be enforceable either under state or Commonwealth law. Often its easier as a state matter as the REA is regulated by Fair Trading who administer regulation of state consumer law. If the property was advertised or promoted for $500K and then the contract says $500K and PLUS GST then there is a problem. I would be surprised.

It may mean that the contract is capable of being terminated without any penalty rather than enforcing the $500K price.

However if you merely thought the price was $500K and signed and then sought legal advice that drew attention to the PLUS GST clause then its your mistake

craigc and Brady like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it commercial? Nothing extraordinary. Just claim the gst back in the next BAS.

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2018
    Beano likes this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Not normal at all in WA. Normally (in WA) the contract for land (or a house) will be GST inclusive but will still indicate how GST it to be treated by the Seller (being sold under Margin Scheme etc) and the Buyer will sign again in this section to say that you understand.

Land estates will generally have something like this in their pages and pages of extra contract information but the price is still inclusive of GST
    Commercial contracts are generally plus GST.

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Care to upload the paperwork without any indentifying details? I'm very curious about this one as I don't think I've seen a non obvious GST exclusive sale.