Final inspection / final payment vs outstanding work

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Keentolearn77, 14th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a new home that we are imminently moving into, I have final inspection and payment due this week

I have reservations about some outstanding rectifications of works, but really want to move in and settle with the builder this week.

Is it reasonable to settle but have an arrangement to hold back on part of the final payment to ensure outstanding items are rectified over an agreed time frame of say 90 days.....

If so, how much is reasonable to hold back, what percentage..... if the final payment is 50k

Cheers

2. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

i wouldn't settle any inconvenience to you if the property is not ready should be compensated for by the builder etc living accommodation any extra costs you have to pay.

Cheers, Elives

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Don't settle until all made good. Builder probably won't give you access without full payment anyway. Is there a liquidated damages clause in the contract that you can use to make a claim for delayed completion?