Final electric meter reading

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by robertd, 13th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robertd

robertd Member

I sold my house and it settled this week. A week prior I called the electric co to arrange a final meter reading. They said the new owners are arranging an account and they are doing the final meter reading. I was told that I would not have to pay for the final read as its classified as an 'auto read' or something.

Anyways, the final read still hasnt happened and settlement is done. I know the new owners are doing lots of work on the house and looking for tenants. They would be using electricity to do their renos

If the final read is a week or 2 after settlement and lots of electricity use has occurred how is this worked out. I was stupid not to have ordered and pay for a reading. Surely Im not going to have to pay for elec use when I was not there. But there is no way of knowing what the read was on the day of settlement.

The box is behind a locked gate as well. I remember the agent asking me weeks ago about the final read and what company I was using. I now wonder if he gave this to the new owners. It seems strange that they would go and open a new elec account for a week knowing that they are about to rent it out.

Can anyone give me their opinions on this?
    thanks

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Call them up, tell them date you were out, tell them someone else is the owner and using the power, see what they will do for you, they should be able to estimate & reads usually cost if they are outside normal read schedule...

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Did you record the meter readings when you moved out ?
    Is the meter in question a "smart" meter ?

4. TopCat

TopCat Well-Known Member

If I was in your shoes, I would take a photo of all suppliers meters (gas, water, power) on the actual day / time (I close the gate the last time) I hand the keys back.

If nothing happens, ie: no new bills; all good. But if I start receiving bills for more then I expect, I have a history of the max I would pay. Just by having the final meter reading info.