Filling holes in door frame?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by housechopper2, 2nd Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

we are changing our light switches from the door frame to the wall.

Can someone please advise the best way for us to patch the hole that is left in the door frame? What products should we use.

Attached Files:

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Builders bog - like this only a smaller amount: Selleys 550g Tradies Bog

datto, housechopper2 and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Agree, builder's bog, then sand and paint. So hard you can even screw into it when dry.

housechopper2 and Marg4000 like this.
  4. housechopper2

Thank you team! - very helpful.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You could also put a piece of timber into the hole and bog around it.

datto and housechopper2 like this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Some timber to fit around the hole, then TimberMate filler around it. Wait for it to dry and sand it back.

Issue i find using bog is that you have to trim it down / sand it down within a short period of time, otherwise it becomes hard as rock. Great if you're on a short time frame and got other stuff to do and can get back to it in time.

housechopper2 likes this.
  7. housechopper2

Yes I had used a filler for these holes in another project I did and I found it slumped a little and was hard to sand back. I’ll use the filler recommended above this time and try find a piece of wood to insert in the hole first

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Sorry, that was meant to say "some timber to fit into the hole" But im sure you knew what i meant :)
    You can fill the whole thing with timbermate, but it would then take forever to dry and always be easy to press in by accident.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Needs to be scraped off just proud - or trim any excess before it hardens, but then it can be sanded back just like wood at your leisure.

It does harden quickly though - in 60 seconds or so from memory, though you can change the mix slightly to get a slightly longer set time.

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2019
    Propertunity and housechopper2 like this.
  10. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

The bog approach is for DIY and handyman. You'll never to able to sand it 100% flush with the profile of the arch, but you'll get close. Another approach would be to remove the arch, and replace it with a new arch after running a sharp knife down the edge of where the arch meets the plaster board to avoid the plaster board tearing. You'll be able to match the profile and wood (or MDF if you prefer).

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You could also just cover it with some paper too :rolleyes: but for a cost effective approach just use a plug and some filler eg wood filler or polyfiller.

Just don't use too much that it slumps. Wood fillers are more easily sanded, don't go off in 60 seconds etc and are reasonably cheap. Pop into your local paint supplier.

housechopper2 and TheRayTracer like this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Replacing an arch assumes that the OP can use a mitre saw or handsaw and mitre box. And, ideally, has a fixing gun. Also, removing one arch can split the top of the adjacent one. Then would have to fill and sand all the new fixing nail holes. Also, have you seen the price of hardwood arch’s: $$.

Bog can provide an excellent repair. If the finish is super important, bog to within 3mm of the top and, when dry, fill with a cellulose filler like Polyfilla powered filler.

But for this, I wouldn’t bother.