FHOG Rebate WA - renting out PPOR before moving in?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by PerthBuyer, 13th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PerthBuyer

PerthBuyer New Member

Hi All,

I am purchasing my first home (established house) in Perth and I am applying the FHOG Stamp duty rebate. The property is currently tenanted but tenant will leave prior to settlement, But would like to stay if possible. I am not in rush to move into my home immediately.

Can I rent out my house for 6 to 10 months before I move into the home, aslong as I move into my home within the first 12 month of ownership? ( And of course live there for at least 6 months).

I am confused if this is allowed? As in my scenario, I would moved into my home within 12month of purchase and live there at least 6 months, as required but would be a investment property short term before it becomes my PPOR.

Has anyone done this before, any advice would would be appreciated.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Last I checked (which was a while ago), you just had to move in within 12 months, and live there for 6 months.

3. PerthBuyer

PerthBuyer New Member

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the Dept of finance WA FHOG contact centre and they advise it is ok to rent out the home aslong as you move in within 12month of the purchase date and intend to live there as your PPOR.

I am still a bit hesitant as the last thing I want to do is inadvertently fraud the govt. But so far I understand that renting out the home for 6 to 10 month before you permanently move into the home, would meet the requirement for the FHOG Stamp duty rebate.