FHOG question

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Glorion, 22nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I have a question pertaining experiences in obtaining the FHOG in nsw. The apartment I am looking at has been purchased OTP, but never been lived in (my understanding is there was issues with the developer and it took 2 years longer than expected to complete). The owner has since decided to move out of country, and needs to get rid of it (I guess a lot changes in 2 years time!)

My understanding is that once it has been purchased, it is no longer FHOG accessible, however, I thought I'd try my luck to see if im wrong.

As an aside, the solicitor I use has just gone on holidays and I havnt sourced another just yet.

Thanks a lot!

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you're right. If it's had another owner, I don't think it counts as "new" anymore, even if they haven't moved in.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Is the Discount you get for buying it second-hand greater than the value of the FHOG? If so, you can just buy it anyway if the property meets your requirements.

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Best to check with OSR.

Apparently, you can get a letter of declaration from vendors solicitors that no one lived at property and it is brand new.

5. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Not sure about other states but in NSW you won't be able to claim the grant even if the previous owner hasn't settled on the property (which is crazy really).

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member