Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

FHOG, OTP and marriage

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by JohnPropChat, 29th Sep, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Asking for a friend in NSW. Don't know much about the rules over there.

His girlfriend already used her FHOG, lived there and rented her place out. She is currently renting close to the city. They've been seeing each other for a year now but haven't started living together. He just pulled the trigger and bought an OTP in Sydney as a first home. The tentative completion date is late next year.

I raised a question as to what happens if they become defacto or even get hitched for that matter before the OTP handover date. Will he still be eligible for FHOG based on contract date? If they get hitched, will his girlfriend/wife finances become a factor in servicing calculations for his loan?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It gets tricky depending on the exact timing of various milestones in their relationship. Best to get proper legal advice on it.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

If their defacto/married and she's already claimed the FHOG then unlikely he is able to. I'd call the state revenue office and try to get a response in writing.

Cheers

Jamie

JohnPropChat and Perthguy like this.
  4. Nightowl

Nightowl Active Member

I initially thought no, not if they are defacto, but based on *contract* date, at which point they were NOT living together, possibly he could, according to this:

First Home Owner Grant | Office of State Revenue

But agree with above posters, best to get advice from OSR/ proper legal advice.

JohnPropChat likes this.