FHBG in Victora - New home

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Luca, 22nd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Guys,

My understanding is that the three main rules for not being able to apply are the following:
    • Received the FHOG in Australia,
    • Owned a home in Australia, either jointly or separately, prior to 1 July 2000,
    • Lived in a home in Australia in which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000, for a continuous period of at least six months
    So I am guessing if you own another 10 properties all over Australia Victoria included bought prior 2000 you can still apply?

Also do you reckon this rule is going to change after the 1st of July?

Thanks,
    Luca

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you family or partner ever lived in any of the ten properties for 6mths or more - No
    You may be asked to indicate and evidence where you did live if you seek to claim the exemption and have 10 properties.

The Vic state budget could include changes but none are proposed

THe rules do not prevent persons applying. They may limit approval.

3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks @Paul@PFI
    Let`s see what happens as we get closer to July

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hey Luca

Your best bet is to contact the SRO for a response on your situation. The VIC guys are quite good/helpful.

Cheers

Jamie

Luca likes this.
  5. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

At this point as of the 1/7/17 in Victoria I haven't seen anything changing the fact that you can buy an IP or 10, then still be eligible for the FHB benefits later.

The Victorian State Revenue Office website is particularly vague about what will happen however. It is possible that there'll be a change of this nature which they're not drawing attention too.

7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@Peter_Tersteeg I know that`s the risk, I was looking to buy my first IP but don`t want to loose the opportunity on the FHBG

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I don't think it's a huge risk, it's been around for 17 years, but there is still some risk.

The bigger picture the consequences of missing the FHB benefits shouldn't be enough to stop people from investing. I'd still build the investment portfolio and worry

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

In most states a trust helps protect the first home issues.
    I have no idea about Vic as sometimes a trust can hold a PPOR and the OSR will allow the land tax exemption for a trust property. I
    I'm unsure if a reverse effect occurs with the first home concessions with that.