FHB NSW Stamp Concession - Available for IP?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by izzy16, 7th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if the new stamp duty concessions for first home buyers in NSW are available for an investment property? Or only to owner-occupiers?

Reason I ask is I'd like to take advantage of it as a FHB but am very happy/settled where we are renting at the moment, so would like to take advantage of it for investment purposes.

Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What is the intent of the grant?

3. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

The home must be occupied by at least one of the purchasers as their principal
    place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months, with that occupation starting
    within 12 months after completion of the purchase.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

To help first home buyers get into the property market? Which would apply here.

5. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I know you could interpret the wording a little, but it says HOME, not INVESTMENT PROPERTY. You have to move into the property within 12 months of purchase.

I do think it would be reasonable to help everyone buy their first property regardless of the purpose, but it's politically correct for the government to help owner occupiers, nobody cares about investors.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There may be two benefits of moving to the new property for an initial period

1. First Home Buyers Grant if you live there for 6 months
    2. 6 year CGT main absence absence rule would apply (only if you commence to reside in the property and then move out)

Note too that if you bought an IP and didnt move in the first home buyers grant can not apply to a next purchase

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.