FHB Deposit Needed

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by KingCantona7, 12th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KingCantona7

KingCantona7 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

First of all, quick note that I have been a silent observer in this forum for many months now and thanks to all the great people out here with their thoughts and feedbacks over the months.

We are a family of 2 and 1 child (3 yrs old), hoping to enter the property market in the next 6 months. We are based in Sydney (2077) and the recent changes in the market has really made it hard for us to save enough to get anywhere close to the 20% deposit.

hence, we are now thinking of entering the market with 5% deposit (95 % LVR loans).
    Please help me understand if the below understanding is correct regarding upfront costs needed including deposit.

Deposit : 5% of property price
    Stamp duty: 4%-5% of property price
    LMI: approx 3.3% of property price when LVR is 95% [ this is based on my research and could be wrong]

Hence, based on the above I will need approx. 13% of the property price as a minimum to make any progress.
    i,e. if property price is $1M, minimum deposit needed is 130k and increases by approximately 13k for every 100k addition to the price.

Is this wrong?
    I have spoken to multiple brokers for a initial chat and have been provided quite contradicting styles of information. While one has told me I will need only 12.5% deposit initially, others have insisted on a minimum of 10% deposit for loan.

Any thoughts or guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Almost all lenders will limit the total LVR to 95 % inc the LMI premium

Based on a 1 mill purchase

40.5 stamps + sundries = 43 k

LMI Ball Park 33 k depending on lender

910 ish lend + lmi gets you to the 95 %

So need 90 k deposit and 42, so 133 k approx

ta
    rolf

KingCantona7 likes this.