Ferny Hills/ Arana Hills (QLD)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Goodfella, 9th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Goodfella

Goodfella Member

Hi,

Looking into this area to buy mainly for school catchment areas.
    Very nice area/ green and leafy.
    But the tip is there. Why on earth would they have a tip there right at the doorstep of a nice suburb close to Brisbane and in the middle of a conservation park is beyond me.

It will be our PPOR but we will need it to have capital growth/ opportunities for okay rental yield as likely to move out of area in 5-10 years.

Will living near the tip be a really bad idea in terms of impact on prices? (Houses we are looking at are about 1.2 km walking distance away.)

Thanks!
    Goodfella

2. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Yes its a strange one and on the doorstep of the best part of the suburb but not really noticeable and have never smelt anything from there.

Fernlands pocket really is one of the best hidden gems in brisbane though. School catchments, nice houses, big blocks and very family friendly. Whole area is definitely picking up.

3. Goodfella

Goodfella Member

more than the smell is the cancer/ respiratory illness risk.
    But what a beautiful area. We cannot believe it is in Brisbane.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I cant believe you are concerned about getting cancer from an urban waste facility in 2018.

Firstly, which tip are you talking about? The one at Ferny Grove, in Brisbane, or the one on the Junker Track, in Moreton Bay. Both these facilities have very strict rules about what they will accept - industrial waste goes somewhere else, to an Industrial centre, miles away from residential areas.

"Why on earth would they have a tip there right at the doorstep of a nice suburb close to Brisbane and in the middle of a conservation park is beyond me."

As far as I recall, both facilities were 'planned" before any prestige housing estates out that way. As you can see from the style of housing, Keperra used to be just housing commission back when the Ferny Grove tip was first opened, and we all know how much respect planning departments show for the poor and disadvantaged.

Hayden94 likes this.
  5. Goodfella

Goodfella Member

Hi Angel,

We may have to agree to disagree.

The subject of living near waste disposable sites, "modern" or not (garbage is garbage. Most household items are not non-toxic by any stretch), is not really in a "oh she'll be all right" category.

I understand that a scientific study perfectly designed to show direct associations between living near an urban waste disposal centre and health effects will be unethical to conduct. Whilst most scientific papers cannot definitively conclude a direct association, there have been enough smaller scale studies studying the correlations to at least make it a point of consideration for potential house buyers who haven't bought into the area and may have other options.

My concerns are not entirely unfounded- maybe more risk adverse than the average I concede. I am here thinking of pros and cons- obviously the house/ property has enough pros to make me wonder if I can overlook or live with the cons.

And I find your tone unnecessary judgmental.

6. Goodfella

Goodfella Member

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Bunya waste management facility

I dont think of paint, car oil, tyres and old batteries as being toxic, except when they catch fire yes. These things sit around in plenty of private homes, so I have never thought of them as being scary. I see your point about it, I was probably just as concerned as you 30 or 40 years ago. Older age can make us chill.

When selecting your home, I guess what is important is its geographical direction from the tip and considering what is the predominant wind direction. The light industrial zones in that area have been there far longer than most housing too.

Tom Rivera likes this.