Fengshui or other superstition...

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ouchmyknees, 13th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd ignore the h.
    But... to be a bit more specific I wouldn't say soy like when it's the end of a sentence, (to me that seems a tad harsh). I'd say it like the word "soy bean", as a midword syllable it's a lot lighter/less emphasised.

Ps. This sounds right to me but I guess others may have other opinions.

Last edited: 20th Nov, 2016
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is very helpful Gockie. Thanks ;)

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The Y-man likes this.
  4. Gockie

The US version is the one I would usually hear. The UK one is weird.

On a separate note: the pronounciations I gave are the ones I would say if I was saying those particular words in Canto.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think your explanation was excellent Gockie.

I had an interesting experience after living in Japan for many years, however. When I returned to Australia, I pronounced Japanese words and brands like a Japanese person ( su ba lu instead of Subaru, with equal emphasis on words etc) and people here thought it was very odd.

So, I learned that the correct pronounciation may not necessarily be understood by many outside the originating country.

wylie likes this.
  6. Gockie

Yes agree. Foreign speakers can significantly change the way the words are actually said from the originating language. Chinese is usually a hard one too because the way it translates into English sounds from the Chinese, it hadn't always been consistent. My surname is apparently the same as Kwok, but it was written down differently when my family got to Australia. Therefore it's Gock. But in Chinese characters it's exactly the same as Kwok. It all depends on who noted down the sounds of your name imo.

7. wylie

I just went to howjasay and they offer two versions. One is the pronunciation I have used for many years. The other sounds quite different. I'm guessing it doesn't have just one correct pronunciation (like so many words in many languages including English).

8. Gockie

Go with the second pronounciation. Ps.
    Canto pronounces "Shui" (water) different to Mandarin, therefore I don't have the "sh". But the pronounciation of the second one sounds fine to me.

9. wylie

Thanks Gockie. Second one is the one I have always used so I'll stick with that (not that is comes up a lot in my day to day conversation) :).

Gockie likes this.
  10. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Pronunciation of Mandarin varies around the country, with that being more typical of southern China (and Canton is about as southern as it gets). Beijing speakers have rather strong "sh" and "zh" sounds, and very guttural "h" sounds, whereas southerners tend to pronounce those more like "s" and "z".

You can listen to the north/south difference (and try the test) here. It doesn't matter what they're saying, just the accent they're saying it with.

11. big max

big max Well-Known Member

The phung rhymes with
    The Fung rhymes with "hung".

The "Shoi" bit like the "oy" in boy.

Again, "feng schway" is cringeworthy (much like how to a French person would reach to a non French person saying "Moway" for Moët Champagne). It's just uncouth.

12. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Correct! It is hard to explain the exact sound to a non canto speaker but I think with the guidance gockie and I have given you will get 90% there. The tones and exact pronunciation as a native speaker would only come if you really practiced it direct with a native speaker.

13. Gockie

But in Aussie talk, it's accepted.

Joynz likes this.
  14. Gockie

Whoo hoo! I got them all right! :D:p

It's the long a's in canto at the end of the sentences mostly that defines it... And just different sounds.... Just comes with experience and exposure.

15. GreatPig

You might want to tell native Mandarin speakers that, including this one.

And for what it's worth, Moët is a Dutch name pronounced "Mowett". Claude Moët had Dutch ancestry.

Westminster likes this.
  16. GreatPig

Also in Mandarin.

Here's an explanation of the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin.

17. Gockie

Good stuff. That's good and they are both OK to me.

But...shooi/schooey that was mentioned as a (British) pronunciation is not right.... At least to me.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You've got to be joking! At least, I hope so. About the uncouth bit, I mean.

With these sorts of things, a little bit of kindness and tolerance goes a long way.

Would we find the mispronunciation of English words by French speakers in France, uncouth?

Not likely. We'd most likely find it charming and appreciate the effort!

MikeyBallarat and wylie like this.
  19. wylie

We found this in France (and every country we visited really) when we first travelled there. We'd been told the French were disdainful of those who couldn't speak French.

What we were told (thank you to whoever told us this) was to ALWAYS greet the shop owner as we enter any shop and to learn the basic "hello" words and "goodbye" words. We found that our friendliness and attempt to communicate were very much appreciated and far from finding the French arrogant, they were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. They seemed to appreciate that we had made some effort to be able to make some basic conversation.

I'm guessing attitude goes a long way wherever in the world you find yourself.

Joynz likes this.
  20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

This! For every country you go to. Learning to say the basic niceties (hello, goodbye, thankyou, excuse me) shows respect for their language and culture and they will show you respect back. You don't have to be perfect but it's a great icebreaker.

[​IMG]