Fencing in NSW

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jins13, 20th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wanted to ask in regards to fencing in NSW for the front of the house, I was informed that you are not allowed to install colourbond fencing. My understanding is that as long as it's below 1.5m, there shouldn't be an issue with this?

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Generally anything forward of the line of building needs to be maximum of 1.2m and can only be solid to 400mm above land.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/epi+572+2008+pt.2-div.1-sdiv.17+0+N?tocnav=y

(2) Despite subclause (1), any fence located along the boundary of, or within the setback area to, a primary or secondary road must:
    (a) not be more than 1.2m above ground level (existing), and
    (b) be open for at least 20% of the area of the fence that is more than 400mm above ground level (existing), with any individual solid element of the fence above this height being no more than 350mm in width with a minimum aperture of 25mm.

NHG and 380 like this.
  3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thank you Dave for the reply!

4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

You may be able to set it back 1m into your property and not be subject to those controls. Then plant out the 1m garden in front of the fence.

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thank you Pistonbroke. Atm thinking of installing wooden fences instead of the colourbond in the front from what my managing agent told me would provide more of a feel for the street and house.