Fence on top of Retaining Wall?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Cimbom, 14th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Mod edit: split from another thread.

I just realised that you are allowed to have front fences in Canberra if you have a corner block which we do. However, we already have a stone retaining wall with steps at the front. I'm not sure if my idea is weird as I haven't since it done but would it be possible to build on top of the retaining wall to make a fence? I would want it done in the same kind of stone so it looks like it continues.

Another weird thing is that the fence would only be at the front as there is a very big tree on where the fence would go on the other side of the block. So it would really be a front wall rather than a fence which fully encloses the house.

I was thinking to then pave about two-thirds of the front yard (behind the fence) to make it into a potentially more useable space. This paving would also connect to the front door steps to be an entry pathway. I would then just mulch the other side of the lawn and fill in the garden bed to the side of the house with assorted plants. Does my fence idea make sense? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Nov, 2018
  2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

The front fence idea would be in place of a hedge. It's an instant result and I won't need to worry about the recent really dry weather

3. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Photos and/or a diagram would be helpful.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Will building the fence then obstruct drivers' view? Then it's not your decision, the traffic manager at council will have a say in the matter.

5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on this? What do you think of the idea from a visual/cosmetic point of view?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I don't care what it looks like I am more concerned about whether motorists can see oncoming traffic. Some councils restrict what you can build on corner lots so sad bit to create safety issues.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

From what @Scott No Mates has said in Perth we have rules about front fences

1. Can't be solid. Generally only allowed solid up to 1200mm (from natural ground level) then slats/visually permeable above with piers. Your local Council will have the rules for your area
    2. Pedestrian and traffic safety. We need to leave a 1500mm triangle visually free either side of the driveway at crossing points (ie boundary/footpath) so that people outside of your site can see the car coming out. This may still be fenced but maximum height of the solid portion is 650mm then slats/visually permeable above so that they can see cars leaving the driveway.

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If okay with council - I'd have to know what heights your thinking of. A 1.8m solid fence on top of a 1m retaining wall would look goddamn awful ... a 1m picket fence on top of a 200mm retaining wall would be quite sweet

9. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

A Magnolia hedge might cost $500. A fence over 900ml probably has to be papered/ approved and cost 5 times that.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Nov, 2018
  10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'll get the current measurements and let you know. I actually have no big issue with it the way it is but recall it being discussed by other potential buyers before we purchased it. Just thought I'd fix it up along with other landscaping I wanted to do

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Check with ACT Govt for their planning rules. It would be unusual to install a fence ON a retaining wall unless its a solid mass structure (ie concrete filled blocks). More common that posts are installed just behind the wall. Fences are a wind sailand may topple / bend if not well anchored into the ground. There there is issue with setback, splays for corners, rules against flat continuous fences and the like that all have rules too.

You need approval anyway so ask / read up : Fences, hedges and walls - Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate - Planning

This information does NOT seem to allow front fences, certainly without approval

12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes we'd need to get approval but I've read that it's more likely to be approved if it's a corner block which it is. The retaining wall is about 80cm high on average. I was thinking to only get it across most of the front so the corner would be visible

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia