Fence. Fix or replace?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Barny, 10th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You're right about if dented. Looks terrible once damaged. But I really do love the look compared to timber for suburban homes.

2. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Is that woodland grey?

The metal looks great at that distance but closer up it looks cheap compared to timber?

3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Colour is slate grey. Not sure if you are asking if it looks cheap close up, or stating it looks cheap close up. It will be personal preference as it's subjective.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Timber fencing does not like to be dented either :)

I have had all sorts of fencing, have to admit metal seems to stand up better, in QLD timber may be the go if wanting cheaper, they leave a paling size gap between each paling.....

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It must be a regional "thing". I also think metal looks cheap. Timber isn't cheap, and can look classy (if done well) and the gap allows breezes through if you don't want total block out of neighbours.

6. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

@Barny if it was in Adelaide, could I ask for the details who did you use to supply and install them? I knew someone in Adelaide looking for a recommendation.

7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Hi sannie, this fence was in Queensland. I reckon Adelaide prices would be pretty good too.
    Might have to call a few places

Sannie likes this.
  8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

To answer the original question, there is a brilliant fencing dispute process up here in QLD designed to make fencing simple. The problem is that there's no clear distinction as to whether a fence should be replaced "like for like" or "adequate for the purpose". It would come down to the tribunal. In your case, is it required to be hardwood or pine. Usually it comes into affect because one neighbour doesn't want to replace the fence at all- which is simple, you just replace the fence and send them the bill.

Murphy's Law, Colorbond will ALWAYS get dented in an IP, then look terrible. I never recommend it for that reason, though it does look great new.

If you're on a ten year plan, there's nothing wrong with going ahead with pine timber paling with posts sunk straight into the ground, but if you really want the fence to last- posts in concrete sunk deeply (I think 600 from memory?). Consider hardwood and/or varnish or paint.