Female Accountant in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by meowmeow, 11th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

A bit presumptuous OP is Asian female because her username is similar to Hello Kitty

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'll have to disagree with you @jaybean, it does look to me like only female tax agents will be considered.

jaybean likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I don't get what all the fuss is about. So she wants only female accountants. Who cares. It's her right to choose .

There are plenty of women in my culture who will for modesty reasons prefer a female accountant to come over to their house to talk etc.

The reasons really don't matter. It's an individual's choice.

When I get haircuts I'll usually only want it done by women because my experience has been they generally do a better job. It's my right to choose . When we go see a Dr, often we can choose male or female.

Let's not try to totally decimate the rights of the individual.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2021
    bmc, meowmeow and MTR like this.
  4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

yeah I didn’t notice that bit. You’re right. Very odd.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I find a request for a male or female tax or legal adviser a strange request. It suggests one party has a gender bias. Its not offensive. Just a strange request. If a client asked their work be done by a male, female or another gender I would decline the request and cease to act as we would not have employed a person - male or female unless they were proficient and capable. I would always recommend the best possible adviser and to be honest I dont know of a female tax adviser based in melbourne to recommend. It not I wouldnt recommend one.

Its also now a different world where location isnt relevant to many matters. Its not really necessary to meet face to face. And to elect to have your tax work done that way is old school and potentially time consuming. Time costs money. We use many forms of technology to do work fastera nd cheaper so we can maxmise client services without unncessary cost. That includes AI software, data feeds, prefill data matching, digital signing and document delivery through a client portal login and rapid non postal delivery of any notices etc. We also handle emails, client calls, uploads and vido meetings with clients globally. More than 60% of tax clients are not in Sydney. We rarely meet face to face these days and rarely see "paperwork".

I get female doctors as thats a different issue.

craigc, Shazz@ and kierank like this.
  6. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

To ask for a specific gender is discriminatory in this day and age, but I think we need to give the OP the benefit of doubt in this case as we don’t know the reason for the request, nor should she feel obliged to justify the reasons on this forum. It could be personal.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wow, still banging on this

Terry_w and bmc like this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Personal. Like anti male ?

Simpsons likes this.
  9. Comrade 1984

Comrade 1984 Well-Known Member

'He felt me up': For women like Holly, street harassment is all too common

There's no shortage of creeps in the world.

During the recession of 1982 I recall as a child a male middle aged bank manager propositioning my mother after telling her that he had the power to call in the loan for our family business. Mum dutifully reported it to Dad but there wasn't a damn thing we could do. Those were tough times: I think we were paying 17% on our business loan at the time. So we shut up and took it on the chin. Never missed as payment, always in fear of seeing the creep in the shop (he had a habit of calling in from time to time) or on the street.

These days I am a Dad. I'd hate to see my daughter have to put up with what I saw and heard that day almost 40 years ago.

If the OP is more comfortable dealing with someone of her gender I can't say I blame her.

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2021
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Does anyone actually have anything of value to offer the OP like a recommendation of a female accountant/tax agent in the Melbourne metro area?

11. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

I would think shining a light on perceived discrimination is of value to the entire community.

For what it’s worth, I would have the same level of concern if I male was to behave in a similar manner

Simpsons and Terry_w like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Is it discrimination for a female to request a female only gynaecologist?

Or for a female to only want her hair done by another female hairdresser for modesty reasons as is in some religions ?

I'm all for equal pay, equal opportunity equal everything for men and women.

But not everything, every time is malicious discrimination when one gender has a preference for a certain gender over the other. Surely we have more common sense and are more tolerant and understanding in a multicultural society like Australia.

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2021
    BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

When it comes to important matters like health, I don’t believe gender should ever come into the selection process.

The wife and I have experienced some serious health issues over the last few years. The main criteria was to get the best, gender did NOT enter our decision making process.

We would never let something petty like gender impact our health outcomes.

Our health is too important for that.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

But that's your right to make that choice. One that I happen to agree with. But others should have the same right to choose without it being labelled as discrimination. There are many women who wouldn't feel comfortable with a male in this instance. They should be allowed to choose without judgement.

MTR, kierank and meowmeow like this.
  15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

here we are talking about accounting - no modesty needed.

Simpsons, spludgey and kierank like this.
  16. Simon Hampel

To be clear - it is NOT discriminatory for a consumer of services to be selective about the service provider they choose.

There are very valid reasons for someone to seek advice from someone they feel might understand their unique needs better - or someone they feel more comfortable dealing with.

It IS discriminatory for a service provider to be selective about the clients they choose based on race / gender / etc.

I am not aware of any law that says a consumer does not have the right to choose the service provider they deal with.

17. Simon Hampel

It's obvious that nobody has anything of value to add to the OP's original question, so I will end with this. I am NOT speaking for the OP here, these are just general comments.

I'm sure there are victims of abuse or assault out there who are extremely uncomfortable in dealing with men in any context at times - especially when dealing with sensitive information like their intimate financial details the way they would with an accountant.

Women should have the right to deal with people they feel comfortable with.

I'm sure there are recent immigrants out there who do not yet have good grasp of the English language or understand how our financial system works and may be uncomfortable dealing with a service provider who doesn't understand them.

Immigrants should have the right to deal with people who speak their language and understand their circumstances, if they choose.

None of this is discriminatory - it is a consumer's right to choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.