Fellow owners (in strata committee) asking for my contact details

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Cbarchangela, 14th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cbarchangela

Cbarchangela Active Member

Hi all,

I live in a 12-unit building complex. I am currently in the process of applying for minor & major renovations approval. I bumped into a couple who owns a unit upstairs and appears to be member of the strata committee and seems to be wanting to make friends with fellow owners cause we chatted for a while about the complex. I just found out from the strata managing agent that these couple asked for my mobile phone details when they saw my applications.

Should I give it to them or not? I believe there shouldn't be any issues of the approval applications (it's underway). The managing agent also tells me that any owner details shouldn't be passed on to other people without permission and any issues arising will dealt by the managing agent themselves. I was just afraid these people are just busy bodies.

I've lived in a strata apartment building 10 years ago with my parents but we were never actively involved in any strata matters so i don't know how much things i should disclose to anybody.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what harm could it do?

Joynz likes this.
  3. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here?

Isn’t any strata lot owner entitled to view the strata roll with all the other lot owners contact details anyway?

Dean Collins likes this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

They know where you live.

Dean Collins and twobobsworth like this.
  5. Cbarchangela

I think the strata manager said that the lot owner wanted to ask something about the application. Are they allowed to tho?

If thats the case, im not sure why they have to ask me directly. The strata manager has said to them if they have any questions they should just email the strata directly.

6. Cbarchangela

True they can knock on my door at anytime. But i will not let them take a peek inside my crib if they are curious . Well i have nothing to hide anyway.

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The innocent explanation is that they want someone to call if, say, your plumber hits a pipe and floods them.

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

The Secretary of your Committee should have a copy of the Strata Roll which includes contact details of owners and/or tenants.

Some Strata Managers attempt to implement their own self-imposed "policies" for "privacy reasons" to exclude email and/or mobile numbers from the Roll supplied to the OC Secretary, possibly for a number of reasons, including self-preservation.

Note that if the Secretary wants these details they can just convene a Committee meeting to compel the Strata Manager to supply the Strata Roll in full including, specifically, the email addresses and mobile numbers.

Alternatively, in @Cbarchangela 's case, they could email the SM any questions and ask that it be passed on to the owner.

The OC Secretary would probably like to handle it themselves, though, I assume, to save time...

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If you know which lot owners are asking, just pop downstairs and ask them directly what questions they have. Then tell them you’ll email the strata with the answer so it’s on record. No he said she said stuff.

Shazi likes this.