Fees/inspections- are these normal?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shazz@, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I have a relatively new dual occ property in NSW (built in 2019) that is used for investment purposes and was wondering if the following is normal/required?
    - annual water efficiency test (charged $300 for both properties)
    - annual termite inspection ($400 for both properties)

Being a new property, I don’t see these things being an issue. Do these items need to be checked annually from a legislative view (similar to smoke alarm testing)? Or can I opt to do it say every few years?

Also, is it normal for a PM agency to charge an annual fee for TICA ($22), even if you have had no change in tenants?

2. Hayley Cannon

Hayley Cannon Well-Known Member

Water efficiency does not need to be checked yearly, the agent can check for leaks at inspections and rely on tenant reports.

I don't believe you need an annual termite inspection unless you have had a treatment and this is needed for warranty purposes.

There should not be an annual TICA fee, unless you agreed to it however it is not normal.

Shazz@ and wylie like this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Get a new agent. You are getting gouged hard.

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

NO you should not have to get annual water efficiency checks. In fact, although it is best practice to have the certificate on file- you will automatically comply with the requirements because new builds need to meet/exceed that requirement anyway.

NO you should not be paying an annual fee for TICA, are you sure you haven't misread the charge? I've never heard an agent charging an annual fee before.

YES you should be seriously considering the annual termite inspection in order to maintain the warranty/guarantee on your termite barrier. Yes, the $200+$200 inspections are an industry rort, but termite damage is uninsurable and modern construction lowset concrete slab with pine frames are especially susceptible to damage.

Stoffo and Shazz@ like this.
  5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your response.

Torn about the termite inspection, so I’ll have a think about that one.

Regarding the TICA fee, I was surprised by this as this is the first property I have been charged this.

The problem I have is that this property is regional, so I am limited with options. It’s seems like agents compete on the management fee, but add all the extras to make up the actual cost.
    FYI- I don’t mind paying a higher fee, with a more simple structure. This PM was a recommendation.
    Guess I just have to decide on whether I have been happy with the service.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Our termite barrier has a $200 a year inspection. If we stop, our warranty ends. The warranty covers house repair or rebuild. If you have a steel framed house however......

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia