Fees and charges

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Elslan, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elslan

Elslan Member

Hi all

I'm considering buying a commercial IP. I have a few resi that have served me well and are continuing to do so.

Looking at a few options I have I'm calculating my costs.

What does everyone usually pay their agents for commercial leasing and management in Victoria??
    Leasing- X1 month
    Advert- $660
    Management %?
    Any costs for invoicing tenant or disbursements?

Thanks in advance

2. 836

836 Member

Speaking from a WA view, generally will be the same across the states.

Fee's are dependent on gross income of the property (rent + outgoings + GST) over here we go from 3% up to about 7.5%

Sundries I have seen up to $80 for multiple properties, mostly about $20/month

The advantage of a commercial property is unless retail, the tenant wears the management fee's and sundries fee's

Leasing fee's again dependent on the rent negotiated ours sit around 10%

Marketing is charged at cost incurred to the agency

The other fee's they may charge are for inspections, reconciliations, lease extensions and rent reviews.

S.T likes this.
  3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

For NSW at least, rates go down as low as 3% but up to 8% + gst for management. Based on gross rent (ie rent plus any outgoings collected).

Letting fees 10-11% of the first year rent, some will hit you with advertising.

380 likes this.
  5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Be also concerned about any lease that may be existing with any purchase as a poor lease will cost you $$$.

6. John M

John M New Member

Hi Elslan,

I'm not 100% sure about Victoria, but in NSW the following is the norm:
    Management - Anywhere from 1% for large properties to 5% for smaller properties
    Leasing Fee - Minimum of 10% of the gross rental, increasing to anywhere up to 15% and beyond (generally the longer the lease, the higher the leasing fee)
    Marketing - Whatever the cost is to the agency. Don't skimp on marketing if there are a lot of competing properties. Be sure to use good photos - they make a big difference

For management, choose the agent you think is most competent. This is not always the largest agency or the smallest agency.

For leasing, you don't have to use your managing agent. Some owners give open agreements to every agent in the area, but this just means that none of the agents are really motivated to work on the property. You would be best to appoint 1 (or sometimes 2, if it's a large property) agents to market your property, and ensure they offer a conjunction to all other agents. This means your agent is motivated to work on it, but doesn't stop other agents from introducing tenants and being paid part of a fee as well. For leasing, generally choose the agency completing the largest number of transactions in the area will yield the best result.

Hope this helps

John

Scott No Mates likes this.