Feel like my tenants are exploiting me?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by scoop, 1st Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes

2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

It sounds odd and there are just some people like that....never satisfied, I can just imagine what they would be like for a hospitality worker to have to deal with.

The depth of the problem is probably somewhere between your view and thiers.

Something like a reverse cycle is usually working or it's dead. I'd suggest offering to get it checked and if there is no fault found they can pay the bill.

Maybe throw in the phrase fit for purpose every now and then. It nicely acknowledges thier issue, but says it's not enough of a problem to worry about.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

So now is the time to let them know what is, and what isn't acceptable. All my PM's know that I'm quick to fix any real issues, but not to bother me with nuisance requests. You may need a new PM.

4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

If they are "royalty", then they can move to Canada and then the US, and then they can have their attention deficit disorders over there, with those other two.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The house is nearly 40 years old. Everything mechanical in it will be nearing its natural lifespan, eg HWS, lights/switches, fans, and depending how old it is, possibly the air con itself.

I would be asking the PM when was the last time the tenants cleaned the air con vent and filters. The unit could be clogged up and need a clean. Condensation plus dust particles makes a sludgey mess that will stop air flow. This is perfectly normal.

If you dont trust the tenants to clean it without breaking anything, then arrange to go there and do it yourself or pay the price for a call out.

Is the house in one of the locked-down suburbs?

Stoffo, Rugrat, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  6. scoop

scoop Member

The AC/heater is a bit old, I'd say a good 10-15 years old.

I had a air con tech assess it and they said the compressor could be overheating, that's a guess and they can't prove it. They ran it and it worked without issue. But they're taking the tenants at their word that the heater switches off after a while. They suggest a unit that old is not worth opening up and repairing. Do I even need to do anything now that they ran it and it worked?

So I may get a new unit and install it in another part of the room, and leave this unit in place since it still cools and apparently still heats too. The tenants can't be without heat and I'm not sure what else to do. As long as this is a legitimate issue (still don't know if it is, or if these tenants are once again trying to tweak this house precisely to their liking) then I'll address it. Thoughts?

7. DaveC

DaveC Member

Get a couple of quotes to replace the unit through the agent-don’t add another system, what’s the point? Use the same holes and just replace the thing.
    Just spend the couple of grand and fix it and increase the rent.

at the end of the day it’s an old unit that is likely intermittently an issue like the tenant reports and this crap isn’t worth your time stressing it- just make sure you have your repair fund put aside for this property.

tell the PM that you aren’t interested in making improvements to the property and not to bother you with requests for improvements but are serious about required maintenance.

Perp and wylie like this.
  8. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

The AC is at the end of its life if it has been used constantly, you might be able to find to someone that is willing to repair it but then 6 months down the track something else will fail on it. I would replace it and raise the rent after this Coivd ordeal is over but I know where you're coming from. I had a tenant that kept on complaining about a hotwater system, I sent different plumbers and electricians out multiple times that couldn't find any issues, in the end I found out that someone had told them that it was an old system and used up too much electricity but anyway, I had it replaced and their electricity bill remained the same.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2020
    Rugrat and Tom Rivera like this.
  9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The problem isnt about the aircon. Its your relationship with the tenant. Every time the tenant asks for something, you will be going through this emotional rollercoaster, whether the repairs are fair or not.

Work on that.

Rugrat and Angel like this.
  10. scoop

scoop Member

If you interpret this situation as an "emotional rollercoaster" then I'd hate to see you under any kind of real stress, mate. LMFAO no stupid questions, only stupid answers

Michael Mitchell and Antoni0 like this.
  11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Maybe you should re read what you reacted to.

Rugrat, TMNT, spludgey and 2 others like this.
  12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Recognising the problem is the first step. I'm not the one who thinks my tenants are exploiting me.

No stupid questions sure, but realise that the right answer may not be to directly answer the question.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2020
    Rugrat, Perp, Mat and 1 other person like this.
  13. Warren from Geelong

Warren from Geelong Active Member

@scoop as a landlord, you pay 7% to 8% of the rent to your agent to NOT have to deal with or worry about these things. I would suggest another agent.

HOWEVER, older properties may have issues BUT a good agent will manage those issues effectively in terms of time, cost and prevention. They will also advise you on the AC - they're professionals and they do it all the time.

Where is the IP located?

14. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

What rock have you been living under?

I have used multiple PMs in different states (Qld, Vic and WA) in the past for my IPs and I can honestly say none would have been able to advise me on the AC or any other repair/replacement. Yes, they would send out a tech or repairman but would always defer back to me as to what I wanted to do.

It was one of the main reasons why I decided to self manage my local properties as the PMs were simple acting as a point of contact (and collecting rent).

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jul, 2020
  15. NewGuyACT

NewGuyACT Active Member

If it's intermittent get the tenant to take a video or photo. If it's overheating it's likely throwing an error somewhere too. The manual might be available online somewhere to check. I'd ask the tenants to provide that evidence.

16. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

Same problem with me as well, it seems nowadays, tenant using it more often during COVID since the government is on their side not on the Landlord side.

ended up costing me $$$$ of reworks and repair cost.

17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If the existing unit is a split system, then I would remove it and replace it with a new one.

If the existing unit is those box types where a hole has been put in the wall, I would advise the tenant that this A/C is broken and no longer to be used. A new one has been put in the same room in a slightly different location.

The last thing you need after you put in a new unit is that they complain the old one is broken and they require you to fix the old one.

My brother had an old box A/C that still worked for his IP. I had told his Property Manager to advise ALL tenants that the A/C DOES NOT WORK AND IS NOT GETTING REPLACED. If it so happens the tenants turn on the A/C on a hot day and it cools down the room, then good for them. But as far as I was concerned, the A/C was broken, not to be used, and we left it in an unplugged state.

luckyone likes this.
  18. Ricky Adelaide

Ricky Adelaide Well-Known Member

Older properties are going to need a bit more maintenance but here is the thing, there are tenants that are not reasonable about how good things should work and expect that everything in a 40-year-old property should be working as new 24/7. That is just not realistic. Your agent should be handling this type of tenant, ensuring that they understand the expectations (which should be realistic) for everyone involved and a few of the comments made about the house not being worth the rent they are paying is a red flag that they should be moved on if possible and your agent should be stepping up and providing a plan of action and being frank with you that their attitude is concerning. If they are otherwise good tenants, I would be suggesting a firm talk to your property manager and rent increase is in order. Otherwise, firm talks with your property manager and start the process of giving notice under no specified reason.

Tom Rivera and Antoni0 like this.
  19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Technically you're not allowed to do this (in QLD, and I believe in other states). Any appliances in the property must work, and you can't contravene that.

That said, if you tell them very clearly that it doesn't work, and they try to take you to QCAT over it anyway, they're probably the kind of tenant you've had a generally poor experience with overall anyway, and don't want in the house.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  20. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

I treat it as a game of dodgy tenant slumlord. They punch a hole in the wall, I don't repair the air con. They want a $5 rent reduction, I store my canoe and christmas tree in their garage.

You'll get used to it.

Last edited: 3rd Oct, 2021
    Michael Mitchell likes this.