VIC feedback on Vermont, wantrina

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by S0805, 17th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

doing some research on Melb east area for main residence. keen on areas like vermont, v. south, wantrina, w.south, bayswater....looking for 4, 2, 2 combination in good school zone (wantrina college, v.secondary) approx budget is around 780k....

wondering any of you guys are following this market, or living there and can get some feedback on the market condition. any particular pocket is better than the other..i gather market here has moved from last 2-3 yrs dramatically...wondering if 780k budget will do...any BA recommendation for this area...

cheers

2. lidz

lidz Member

We settled on ppor in Knoxfield last december so bit of an idea of the area.

I think you might find it hard to get a 4 bedder in most of those areas for that budget, wantirna & vermont (& respective sth's) that's actually lower end 3 bed prices now. Bayswater would be the exception though it has moved significantly in recent years also.
    That's in regards to houses, if talking townhouse's then obviously much more choice.

Haven't followed the market too much since moving in but ask away & I'll answer where I can

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

4. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

I've been in the area for 32 years. Last 18 months prices have jump a few hundred thousand.... Still good buys around though. I'd stay away from Bayswater for ppor, 95% of Wantirna and Wantirna south are very good.

If you can buy in Wantirna south between high street and Burwood Hwy or in Wantirna between Burwood Hwy and BORONIA road that would be your best bet.

5. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I've not spend much time on opens (2 weeks to be specific) yet this looks challenge for sure espcially in vermont. lot of stocks coming as well. good school is our priority for
    this change hence the selection of vermont & wantrina college. can you give us some feedback on knox area schools (scoresby secondary & fairhills) based on your understanding. Knox was in our list but we excluded that mainly due to school scores (i think). we've noticed some of the properties going around similar range also wat's public transport to city like given no
    direct train lines to city....

6. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

This one crossed the list. mrs rejected due to electric cooking.

3+ study can do for us however looking at the size of atleast 600+. that rules most of the townhouses out and prefer single storey given ageing parents. don't mind buying little bit rundwon property and do a bit of work as we go along.

Y man any buyers agent you know servicing these areas....appears off market opportunity is our best bet in this budget as once it hits the market crazy prices are being paid.

7. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks Timmy. Those pockets you've mentioned are absolutely where we started. vermont i've noticed is quite hard in this range even run downs or private sales but wantrina looks to be bit different. I think off market is our best bet in this budget as once it hits the market we looking at some crazy prices.
    bayswater was only added into list as we find out some of the bayswater area falls in wantrina college catchment (yet to be confirmed). vermont secondary & wantrina is driving most of our decisons right now.

8. The Y-man

S0805 likes this.
  9. lidz

lidz Member

Sorry not much info on the schools, I attended fairhills but that was a while back now! Our little guys 2 so wasn't a big factor for us. Like you wanted 4 bed house ideally on larger block, had similar budget to yourself & after a few months of opens & auctions this is where we ended up.

10. The Y-man

BTW - did you ask for and check the S32 for the property to see if there is gas to it?

If there is, very easy to change the stove.....

The Y-man

11. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

I should. by default i take that if someone has electric cooking then there is no gas connection available.
    I wonder why would someone not have cooking on gas if it's available. Saying that i did notice on few houses have gas ducted heating but electric cooking.

12. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

I thought, she's running property management business.....are they BA as well...

13. The Y-man

She has contacts :)

The Y-man

S0805 likes this.
  14. The Y-man

When people reno and move the stove location, it can be easier (cheaper) to get an electrician to make a GPO than to get a plumber to repipe.

The Y-man

15. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Hi The Y-man, just want to ask what does it mean in s32 when it mentions utilities (for an example the gas) is not connected?

Does it mean that the Vendor decide to stop gas service (as the property is currently vacant) OR is there no gas connection at all into the property?

The property has a gas meter, stove gas, gas ducted heating, but I assume they just disconnect the gas as the property is currently vacant and up to sale.

I read somewhere it cost roughly $10,000 to connect the gas. I thought it is just as simple as calling the gas provider.

Thank you,

Ben

16. The Y-man

That's kind of wierd - I thought it means no gas conn to property - can you just check there is actually a gas meter there to be sure?

As long as there's a meter there, no issues.

The Y-man

Ben John1 likes this.
  17. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Could be running electric cooking with solor pannels so mite be cheaper then gas maybe just a thought

18. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

My parents’ house is like that. Goodness knows why. For me that is an instant dealbreaker!

19. Jimmyay

Jimmyay Well-Known Member

Depends on the type of electric cooking . We do have gas supply to house but when we renovated kitchen we put in a great electric (induction) cooktop - it’s seriously good and although originally I had my doubts, have found it just as good if not better than gas. Modern electric induction cooktops are not inferior to gas. They have come a long way. I’m a convert.. The gas supply is always there in case anyone wanted to change again in future.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia