Feedback on subdivision please!!

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by dan2101, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just after a bit of feedback with my proposed subdivision. I've received the plan back from the surveyor and feel he has made the top block too small (296sqm) and bottom block too big (627sqm). The reason he has done this is to:

- avoiding building the new dwelling over the sewer and thus having to concrete encase it
    - less cut and fill as the block slopes down towards the creek
    - less tree removal

So I guess what I'm asking is in an ideal world how big does the existing block need to be in order to not put potential buyers off due to its size. Would 350sqm be ok or does it need to be 400ish? Please see plan below!

Any feedback appreciated!

Cheers

Dan

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Picture in context would help.

3. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

It depends. 296sqm innner sydney is worth plenty, in far regional it could be nearly worthless. Is it central coast? What do you see selling nearby? Have a look at the last 10-20 blocks that have sold in the suburb and look at speed and price and try to mimic that.

4. dan2101

very frustrating I have tried to upload the plan but it won't work. Will try again later.

Hey @BuyersAgent its long jetty on the central coast. Anzac road down the lake end. Hard to get a gauge because nothing that small has really sold... Which I guess tells us something.

I am leaning towards making the exisiting house on a block of 400sqm and the new one 520sqm. Just wanted to get some feedback as I'm a bit unsure.

Thanks, hopefully upload the plan soon.

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2016
  5. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

Depending on council, but if you sell both lots to an investor he/she can later apply for a reconfiguration of the lots (cost around 3k, again pending where it is) and re-size it.
    If no one in the area has done it, then sometimes it is best to sell it to someone who might want to hold on because of the upside

6. dan2101

Here is the plan...

Attached Files:

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would think that the 400 and 520 blocks would be much better rather than a tiny block and a big one. Unless you want to keep one, in which case you go with what you want.
    Marg

8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're doing.
    I find that if you're selling the block as vacant land then you need to ensure that the block is regular size for the area.
    But if you're going to build I find that it's not so much an issue.
    When it's vacant land many people struggle to picture what can go onto the block, a lot of people looking at blocks work in reverse, they have found the house they like and area looking for a block to fit onto it. Instead of finding the block and building what fits on the block.

9. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I would move the second home back another 3 metres.

mikey7 likes this.
  10. dan2101

Thanks everyone.

The new plan is attached. Stretched the top block to 380sqm which is the furthest we could go without having to concrete encase the sewer. Looks better to me?

Dan

Attached Files:

11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

How deep is the sewer? You appear miles away from the easement, I can't understand why you would have to encase it when so far back.

12. dan2101

Hey @Cactus

I've got a feeling you might be confusing the dashed line near the creek for The location of the sewer. If you look at the bottom of the plan to the right of the proposed new house there are just 2 'dashes' (that's the sewer but the line doesnt extend across the block for some reason). It is currently between 1.5 and 2.7m from the boundary of the house so It's super close already.

Cheers

Dan

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Considering that you are keeping the existing house on the front of the block I think it's ok for the either of the options. I think the second option with the slightly bigger front block works better as it gives more private courtyard

14. dan2101

Hi @Brady just building and selling both. Hopefully late next year. Cheers

15. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Is the partial dashed line the actual sewer or the easement? I have built 1.5m from sewer and not had to do anything special. It depends on the authority and the depth of the asset.

16. dan2101

Yeah the partial dashed line is the actual line of the sewer @Cactus . Not sure of the actual depth yet