Feedback on student accommodation

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Lizzie, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Seeing as you're not going to sleep ....... o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EN710 likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahaha - you must prowl pinterest ... I find it overwhelming after a few hours of searching

3. Westminster

Just a little bit!! I do a lot of small space work so always looking at new ways to make small work better.

property world, Lizzie and EN710 like this.
  4. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Where is the location of this proposed building?

Where is North in relation to dwelling?

Under the R-codes of WA you need an opening for the bedroom ie: Window. I cant see this with yours? Im sure this is the same principle wherever in Australia.

5. Westminster

@property world you can 'borrow' light and ventilation from the next room to meet requirements. It isn't ideal but it is possible. So @Lizzie has louvres to the wall facing the window to achieve natural light and ventilation to the bedroom.

Lizzie likes this.
  6. property world

Oh sorry misses that LVR meaning of louvres. Yep is it 10% from memory.

I ask the question is that wall really needed?

Is try and swap when the robes are and the bathroom? do for having people over obviousily not many but have access to the toilet without walking through the room

BTW love those small bathrooms ect @Westminster

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Answered this earlier ... the choice is either to have occasional guests walk thru the bedroom to the bathroom - or the occupant having to exit the bedroom and enter the bathroom thru the hallway (ie, dash from the shower down the hall etc).

Yes - I think a wall between the bed and lounge is necessary. Both for privacy - and, as there is room, why would you not?

EN710 likes this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

So that's what LVR is (I did think of it as some kind of opening) :rolleyes:
    I grew up in a room without outside window :) We have one tall, full width glass window facing the dining for the room. I still love that concept till now but it's not popular here. The room were so small and need to fit 2 people so we have this kind of bed
    upload_2016-4-7_8-56-53.png

Lizzie and Westminster like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

:D - yep - I didn't want to clog up the thread by including the legends ... and thought showing the louvre-ed windows on the sample board was okay.

Currently redoing the plans - I'll be glad when they finally give us CAD instead of having to redraw - tried to make the bathroom 200mm wider, but meant there wasn't enough room to walk around the bed ... tried with the bedhead where the robe currently is and the door onto the living, but then not enough room to open the a swinging door (not a fan of cavity sliders except for on the bathroom if necessary) ... realised in the redrawing that I'd drawn the bed to small for the frame I'd chosen, so had to change beds ... I will get better in time!

Westminster and EN710 like this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

How about a small double door it you don't like a sliders? small double internal door - Google Search

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay - here is the new version ... dining table is an extendable table from Ikea (hard to find). Have included a compact oven from Smeg under the cooktop (again, hard to find smaller than standard)

project3 final (a).jpg

12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I like it, more flowy... and space to hang towel (maybe put toilet roll handler as well)
    How small is the SMEG oven? Gaggenau seems to have small stuff :rolleyes:

13. Westminster

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Damn - just when I think I've found all I could and I'm done ;) ...:D ... debating whether to have separate microwave and oven, as have the room, or combined.

I'm not a big fan on combined cooking appliance if you have the room to have both (ie, always buy oven with separate grill myself) as means you can use both at same time ... microwave popcorn for movie while chook is cooking in oven ... would probably have used the Asko if it was smaller than the Smeg, but they are the same size - the Asko is obviously more expensive - by around $1,000 due to combo. Cost hasn't been labelled a factor in assignment, but I am conscious of it.

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  15. property world

Privacy from what?

Dashing from what.

It depends where your getting the northern sun from but you dont have many options do you. Ventilation with that room would also be pretty poor and debatable whether your gathering 10% pf natural light into that room.

Id take things to a new level with openess but thats just me going against the norm.

Youve done pretty well, not heaps you can do.

TBH as a student i eat food on my bed watching TV. I think that could be done here, i reckon plenty of students would do similar i know a few do. Some dont like the thought of eating in their bed. However a sofa/bed hybrid would work.

Also how many students now sit on their laptio doing assignments in their bed - alot.

Agree with running one bench the entire way through down that one side.

16. Westminster

I lost a big reply to this :(

Ok my thoughts and 2 cents
    - walking through bedroom to bathroom is AOK in student accomodation. It's not high end apartment and 95% of the time there may only be the student in there. It also means bathrooms can be run back to back in pairs of apartments which works well for plumbing.
    - I like the new design.
    - love the extendable table - that is a great find. Small most of the time but double the size when people are over
    - the toilet turned around does help that area and I think someone suggested it creates a good spot for a towel rail etc. How deep is that vanity? I'm a little worried there might not be much space in front of it.

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - if you have friends over, and you're getting ready for a night out (or some such) ... or your mum lets herself while you're still in bed sleeping naked ... but I also understand the counter ... friends passing through your bedroom to use the bathroom ... maybe, because I've had an ensuite for so long, I'm used to the ensuite concept.

The louvres are 1000 high - by 2500 and 750 - total of 3.25m2 of window from the living into the bed/bath - the living window is facing north - hoping with the bed ceiling fan that there would be enough air circulation ... was thinking of flipping the bed door and robe to allow better circulation, but considering the front door won't be left open, there would be no different in airflow ... also not a fan of a door opening onto a door.

Studying in bed? Suppose it depends whether you're studying medicine versus arts - architecture versus psychology ...

18. Westminster

PS Lizzie there are some chairs at ikea which stack nicely or fold and can be hung up on a wall if you want to provide extra seating for the extending table

These stool ones can also double as a side table for the lounge
    FROSTA Stool - IKEA

EN710 likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for that ... I'm using a dining chair as the desk chair, which gives three dining, semi-comfortable lounge chairs ... and then a couple of the cube stools which could also double for dining if essential ... it's interesting to juggle ... will post the new sample boards later today

20. property world

Yeh alot of people i know study in bed. Laptop on the lap. Researching articles and writing up there essays as thats what the majority if not all courses demand. I know ive done arts, science and now Building Design and have done alot of it on the bed.

You have enough room to do a proper bed in this 36sqm however they seem to be drilling into me and industry involved about being energy efficient, sustainable and passive solar aims - maybe thats just where i am however its only meant to be getting bigger and bigger and pushed that way.

[​IMG]

I think some dividers or sliding semi walls could work well with what im trying to ask for. Can be pushed across for privacy if required on those occasions or opened for ventilation.

Just trying to come from a different angle however you seem to have done quite well with what was asked.

The Louvres can certainly work aswell and may be of better use.

Lizzie likes this.