Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Feedback on student accommodation

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Lizzie, 5th Apr, 2016.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay - this is a bit cheeky of me :)

As part of every assignment for my Interior Design/Decoration course I have to get written feedback from peers/contractors or those in the industry. I have an architect friend who has been fabulous with my last three assignments, and gave feedback on layout options with this project - and same with a real estate agent friend - but I don't want to "overstay" my welcome by asking them, yet again, to critique.

So I thought I'd throw myself on the mercy of the PC community. Please excuse the quality of the photographs of my "sample boards" ... the light is fading, I wanted to get this up on PC asap so I can get the assignment done, dusted and submitted - and I'll take better photos for submission tomorrow.

The brief was - a 6m x 6m empty space - brick external walls that cannot be altered - an entry door and sliding door (at opposite ends) that cannot be altered - ceiling height of 3m.

Design and prepare a floorplan layout, taking into consideration the following:

- an area to sleep
    - bathroom facilities
    - kitchenette facilities
    - an area to eat a meal
    - storage (long and short stay)
    - up to 2 other students my visit at a time for group projects or movie watching

Produce concept sample boards to furnish your design

Would love some feedback that I can screenshot and submit - constructive criticism and highlighting positives is both welcome. As I am aware of clogging up this thread, I haven't included the "legend" - but hope it's pretty clear what is what and where it goes.

Super appreciated
    project3 final.jpg View attachment 6386 WP_20160405_002.jpg WP_20160405_003.jpg

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Lizzie I would love to. I'm just replying now to remind me and you that I said I will :)
    When do you need it by?

Consider using bifold louvres between the sofa and the bedroom which can open up and you can put the tv unit there so you can open up the bifolds, turn the tv around and watch telly in bed.

I'm going to edit whilst I think of this :)

Kitchen area:
    I would put the pantry and store cupboard together so it can be used for multiple purposes. You have delightful 3m ceilings so I would take more advantage of that and run more cabinetry to the ceiling. I would use a combination microwave/oven which means only one appliance and then have a 2 burner hotplate as well to save some space. You could possible save enough space to put in a dish drawer dishwasher. I think you could fit everything into 3000mm but you always steal some space from the storage cupboard if it doesn't fit. I wouldn't have the sink on the other wall which would open up a space to put a multipurpose 1500 x 750 dining table which can be used for collaborative projects, kitchen prep and dining.

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2016
    thydzik likes this.
  3. Westminster

Positives - it has everything you need in 36sqm and seems very logical and not cramped. There is plenty of storage including the good use of a bed with storage underneath. I'm guessing there are common washing machine areas but you could put one in if you need to. The louvres allow natural light and ventilation to the bedroom area from the living room and can be tilted/opened to allow the occupants views outside the accomodation to give the feeling of a larger space.

I would consider the dimensions of the ensuite as I don't think 1000mm for a toilet is sufficient. I think the smallest I have ever designed is 1400mm but yours is a wall mounted hidden cistern model and that may take up less space.

I would consider moving the bedroom door to be inline with the rear of the robe so that the swing doesn't get as close to the bed. This does mean the opening to the kitchen/lounge area is small but I think that may be ok.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Can the WC be made accessible from the living area? I'm thinking if the location of for it can be reshuffled. Is the door location fixed? As in can't be moved slightly to the left?

Edit:
    I'm thinking of relocating the robe maybe to the ensuite wall, so you will have two smaller robe on each wall. The bedroom then can occupy the full length of wall - more usable space?

The positioning of sofa/ tv unit and desk might be a bit awkward as I always think sofa facing the tv (maybe smaller tv unit to actually fit the 1.8m wall

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2016
  5. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Great Job Lizzie
    It seems like it's got everything a student needs. I like it. X

6. herenow

herenow Well-Known Member

I'm really not a fan of the bathroom off the bedroom in a unit like that. Maybe a student would be? I wouldn't want people walking through my room and as a student they'll prob regularly have people over.

I'd pick up the bathroom unit and put it where the robe is with the bedroom entrance then off the lounge.the robe would then go against the current bedroom wall.

I think the tv unit should be smaller, I don't like how it cuts into the desk space where there would prob be drawers.

You could also consider using a somewhat L shaped lounge to get a better to angle/use of space. Could flip that to where the desk is too and do a bit of a shuffle.

If it was a sofa bed, that'd be good for subleasing. :p (another reason for the bathroom to be out of the bedroom). Alternatively put bunks in the lounge. :)

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Great idea re bifolds and TV ... I didn't put pantry and store together as fridges sticks out quite a bit further than the cupboards, and therefore it would protrude into the "kitchen" space.

I'll have a play with kitchen space

EN710 likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have seen ensuites 1000mm wide - they are tight, but in 36m2 everything is tight and thought it would be better to have the commonly "used" areas (lounge/hall) to feel more spacious.

Initially had the door lined up with the robe, but this closed the corner of the hall/lounge right in and made the space appear more elongated and small

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The only doors fixed are the external front door and external sliding doors ... everything else is added by myself.

The location of the bathroom was a bit of a conundrum as, at one stage, I had it open direct from the hall - but then you'd have to have another opening into the bedroom (which would take up too much space from the bathroom) - or - if you didn't have the second opening into the bedroom, the occupant would need to exit the bedroom and enter the bathroom thru the hall (not ideal when dashing from the shower).

Great to get feedback re lounge - I always lie on my couch and watch the TV over the top of my feet (sofa at right angles to the TV) so thought it might work. Also have to consider friends would also be watching (hence comfy-ish dining chair and foot cube) ... could put L-shaped sofa in corner of sofa/TV unit and then TV where desk currently is ... but then where would I put the desk ... I guess could put in a desk where the table is, to work as both table/desk, but architect was concerned about doubling up dining/desk as students are not known for tidying up their study mess ...

So many options that all have positives and negatives

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Will have a play with this... p.s. ... is a sofabed

11. Westminster

Hey lizzie, I see you have replied whilst I've been doodling.

If you make the kitchen 700mm deep instead of 600mm of get a counter depth fridge then it will stick out less and provide that seamless look you are going for.

Perhaps rotate the toilet 90 degrees so that it has more legroom then as I agree every mm does count.

here is my doodle I just did. I did change the tv spot but you can swap around if you like that bifold idea.

Attached Files:

12. Westminster

This fridge is a counter depth one suitable for a student accom Appliances Online

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahaha - looks perfect with one long bench/ lose return and then dining table (I did have a scribble early on with an island bench) - may leave 600mm wide benches and pantry/fridge in current order - and probably leave bedroom door as is and have inbuilt TV/book shelving going to below louvre height - standard benchtops and setback door would keep that sense of space ... great idea re rotating toilet ... such simple solutions when seen through fresh eyes :D

Westminster likes this.
  14. Westminster

Glad I could help. I'm sure you have rearranged everything 50 times before now so many things we suggest you would have thought of.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Westminster any image/ screenshot, my iPad can't open the PDF link :(

@Lizzie i think smaller tv unit, place it where the table currently is. You can have a two seater sofa facing the unit (about 1.5m distance should be ok) and hopefully enough room to allow people to sneak into bifold toilet door behind (I.e. Bathroom with two access door). The round table, can use this bongo with removable wooden top, so act as coffee table or chair when needed. http://www.kingliving.com.au/accessories/bongo/#sqGOWyzJgp2kSYO1.97
    You can have an expandable table next/ behind the sofa. o_O

From @Westminster description her sounds better :D

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Gets to the stage that I've scribbled so many things/walls/furnishings/openings, so many times, that it becomes a blur and you can't see the forest ... super thanks for the suggestions ... I'll be back by the end of the week with an update!

17. Westminster

There are also some options for a skinny cupboard on the side of the store cupboard which could either be a bookcase, broom cupboard or extra storage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Logan, Lizzie and EN710 like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Tried to save a jpg, but wouldn't work ... you'll see it by the end of the week!

EN710 likes this.
  19. Westminster

BTW this was a design that I've saved for it's awesome row of built ins that does laundry, kitchen, tv and desk all in a row in a 32sqm apartment.

[​IMG]

EN710 and Lizzie like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... now you've really got the thought juices going! I'm not going to sleep tonight ...

EN710 likes this.