Feedback on Building Inspection Report

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ankur, 2nd Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ankur

Ankur New Member

Hello All,
    A newbie here in process of finalizing first home (PPOR). I signed the contract and hired a building inspector for B&P inspection. The inspector came up with a few minor findings and the following major finding:

1. The exterior wall has deviation of more than 10mm at the construction joints. Wall pushing out of the position causing cracks. This type is regarded as Major Structural Defects. Rectification work can be very costly.

Attaching photos too for better understanding.

It is 2011 built single storey 4 BR house.

Would appreciate any response to understand what does it mean in terms of "risk in living in house/life of house/rectification cost" etc. Is it a deal-breaker issue or is it worth pushing back on Agent to fix or get them back to negotiation table again?

2. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

Your best bet would be to ask the building inspector and also getting a quote from a builder to see what it would cost to fix. Then you could make an informed decision on whether or not it could be worth buying and at what price..

I couldn’t open the photos..

wylie and Ankur like this.
  3. Ankur

Ankur New Member

Thanks, I have changed the media permissions and now it should be visible.

4. Ankur

Ankur New Member

Anyone could confirm if this is really an issue ( I hope photos are visible now). I was looking at various websites and it appears to me that the deviation shown in photos are expected articulation/construction joints which are required to have a gap of 10 mm for a single storey house. Happy to hear feedback from the community.