Fear of Relationships over worry about losing everything

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Terry_w, 13th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you worry about losing your assets upon a relationship breakdown?

1. No, I don't consider this at all

123 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. I worry that I may lose assets but I take the risk

110 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. I will not enter a relationship at all as I don't want the risk

21 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. I try to have relationships with persons more wealthy that I am.

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Child support is OK... I happily pay that, actually I pay much more than legally obliged since i want my kids to have a better school, private health care and extra activities which I all pay for.

It is the losing 70% of your assets that have taken 25 years to accumulate I wouldn't be able to cope with, your friend will still cop that.

Poppy, Tony66 and Hanison like this.
  2. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I voted for I don't consider this at all. Being married 12 years, I will be more upset and heart broken to think about wealth. If it really comes to that, she can take the lot, I will survive with the memories.

Gingin and Xenia like this.
  3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Id rather go into it with open eyes and an open heart. money's replaceable, wasting years of your life miserable and scared of the boogie man is no way to live imo

Silverson, Gingin, Chris Au and 4 others like this.
  4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

How can anyone say his friend will lose 70% of his assets based on absolutely no knowledge of the specifics of the situation?

staying in an unhappy, miserable marriage that not only hurts the couple but likely the kids just to save paying child support is a great example of cutting off your nose to spite you face.

yay he didn't have to pay child support, all he had to do was live in misery and have his kids do the same too. imagine the lesson that teaches the kids, overlook all/many flaws if the money flows. father of the year material right there.

Joynz, charttv, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Asset protection.

Half of nothing is nothing.

Being wealthy is more fun when you have someone to share it with.

I was well on my way when my partner came along. Built a new PPOR for "us" to live in when our daughter was born. If, and that's a BIG if, things turn sour, this property is theirs. IP's are perpetually self funded. All properties are in my name solely. Our partner agreement is not a 50/50 split, but rather I allow them to keep our PPOR. I get the rest. They'll be looked after. Naive? Perhaps. But life is too short to die rich and alone from not giving it all a go.

6. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you would have to give 70% + of your assets to the other person if there are no children or if the children are over 18? That doesn't sound like a reasonable distribution. But then family law makes no sense to me and seems to be based on unique factual situations.

Losing 50% + of your assets would be very upsetting if you put in the majority of the financial contributions and, understandably, it naturally would make a person worry about entering another relationship in the future.

7. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

ok 40-70% if kids over 18. I was referring to if I had been married, and others I know. I know 3 fathers who lost their home which they had long before the wife, one had to move back with his parents because the wife pretty much got the lot plus support.
    yes agree. better to separate properly, pay the support, and help with the kids as often as possible (most days in my case).

Hanison likes this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Nah, at least I will agree, do what makes life work and worth living.

Alone and rich is not appealing especially later in life and health is not 100%

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That isn't the way it goes. All things are taken into account. Much depends on ages of children, whether one partner (mother OR father) has given up work to raise kids. So many things are considered but still this "mother gets almost everything" idea does the rounds.

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've factored this in, thus my end goal is double what it needs to be.

I think about it, but don't care. I've talked about it with my wife, and basically, what's mine is hers, and what's hers is hers.

I'm doing it for the kids/family anyway. It's not about me.

SStar, Gingin, radson and 4 others like this.
  11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Im not sure "worry" is the right word. Maybe 'conscious'. I am conscious that there is a risk but I do not worry about it.

In my earlier years, yes, I thought it was a significant thing. Then I realised that in the greater scheme of things I have bugger all anyway, so is worring about it, and is protecting it - to the detriment of all my relationships worth while? - No.

I came to the relationship with more $value than Mrs Blacky. But with her assistance Im sure I will be able to generate more than if I tried to do it alone.

If the worst is to happen, she can take the lot. Ill start again. Made it once, can do it again. Its not so much that the time spent together would still far outway it.

Blacky

sanj and Nemo30 like this.
  12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

lol...thats usually the way it is..or at least they think so...

Sonamic likes this.
  13. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I haven't casted a vote. I'm somewhere between option 1 and 2.
    I've had the rough end of the stick and bounced back.
    The family court system is a joke and I ended up paying more than I should have just to end it - going through the process was just draining cash and having every hanger-on clip the ticket at my expense. Ending it by just cutting a deal, getting on with life and certainty, had value & I suspect cheaper in the long run.
    The knowledge & skill in making money through property they can't take away. That's more valuable than any percentage of your assets is worth. And if you approach it in the right way you'll be stronger - and make it back faster than the first time round.

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Very good question.
    Yes, it's one of the many 'issues'. An important characteristic is the combination of integrity and financial know how. Not so worried about splitting the assets on departure - more the wasting of them while together. That would ruin everything. And what about his adult kids? Too hard basket - sorry.
    When young, sharing is so much easier.

VB King likes this.
  15. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I do worry. After seeing my parents separation recently and their financial position change dramatically it plays on my mind.

16. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Wow, spend years wasting your life in a miserable marriage just to avoid paying your share of child support. The funny thing is the assets obtained during those miserable years of which he will lose at least 50% of will probably amount to more $ than what the child support payments would have been. Fail.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2016
    legallyblonde and Sackie like this.
  17. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Makes zero difference who's "name" the property is in, partner is potentially entitled to a share of it. Additionally your partner "agreement" is basically worthless if your partner decides not to adhere to it, which is most likely.

If it goes to court everything is up for grabs, all property and super. Figure losing 50% in best base scenario, more if kids are involved.

Observer likes this.
  18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree @sanj. That's something which doesn't discriminate. No matter how much money or wealth you have, time is something which you never get back.

19. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Yes. That's a worst case scenario. And I'm aware handshake deals are worth nothing these days. My assumption that "she'll be right" may be a mistake, as would your assumption of the dynamics of my relationship.

Just make double.

20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Exactly.