Fear of Relationships over worry about losing everything

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Terry_w, 13th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you worry about losing your assets upon a relationship breakdown?

1. No, I don't consider this at all

123 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. I worry that I may lose assets but I take the risk

110 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. I will not enter a relationship at all as I don't want the risk

21 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. I try to have relationships with persons more wealthy that I am.

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say 90% of men are horrible. I was simply trying to explain why this argument always slants one way... because mostly it is women who give up their career to care for children.

Joynz and paulF like this.
  2. wylie

You can't get maternity leave, and I cannot get paternity leave.

I don't assume any woman's career would have taken her to riches, but being taken to riches is a far cry from giving up earning altogether. And it is pretty much proven that even taking minimum leave puts a woman behind the field when she comes back into the workforce.

Joynz likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The sooner men get the right to have babies the better!

thatbum likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Terry I believe you already have the right to have babies, the problem is an issue of biology, not law.

Joynz and Terry_w like this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I demand a uterus!

6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I really truly hope men can have one. Plus the ovaries.

7. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

But that's mostly the choice of the individual or individuals as proven with my Mum. I know there's lots of different circumstances but a lot of mums don't need to stay at home and become stagnant. A few work places now offer family friendly rosters. There's also government assistance for online courses like one of my friends wife had done while her partner came home after work and took over with the kids.

I might be wrong but I'm unaware of places like Woolworths offering a father 80% of their full wage for parental care for 2 years or possible more if you have other kids and then go straight back into their job when finished.

Anyway I don't think that the OP was really referring about people where a true marriage has failed, more like the ones that try and make marriage a profession and a fast money grab.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep. Then men can have the fun of having periods and needing to be on birth control or needing to buy sanitary items. Once that happens I'm sure birth control and sanitary items will not cost anything to buy.

EN710 likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Go to countries like Sweden, Norway, Denmark... very socially equitable countries.

What Makes the Nordic Countries Gender Equality Winners? | HuffPost

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2017
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I contend that you are wrong and that neither women nor men get 80% of their wages for two years for maternity leave.

Though, if you have evidence of this being the case at Woolworths, please 'put up or shut up' as they say in the movies...

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2017
  11. wylie

How different would the world be if that was the case?

12. wylie

I'd love to know which workplace offers woman 80% of their full wage for two years and then straight back into their job?

Poppy and Joynz like this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Did your mother own the farm (sounds like it might have been an orchard) or was it rented? Were there other relatives or just your Mum and two kids? Was this in Australia?

I grew up on a farm too, so have a real understanding of the work load.

14. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

The problem is, its not an individual choice - its a joint relationship decision. And often the best one in the circumstances of relationships with young kids.

I'm sure its very convenient after separation for the other spouse to turn around and suggest it was somehow their ex's individual choice to not work though.

wylie likes this.
  15. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Terry you wanting a uterus is like Caitlyn Jenner wanting to be a woman. The moment it happens you deeply regret that you have suddenly been demoted in life to a second rate citizen, complete with monthly bleeding, expensive medical appointments and a lot of pain. And being paid less to do the same job as a man, from the moment you graduate.

In 25 years of working I have never had a secure job, always contract, often at minimum wage. I still take (now well paid) contract work in both corporate & in schools, but I have very slim chance of ever having a secure job. I also only work PT as I have children under 5, and while I have sisters and friends who make FT work by employing nannies and au pairs at over $1000 pw, I want to see my children while they're young....this is actually a genuine choice as I could afford to pay for everything (childcare is $150pd, per child), I just choose not to as I think to have a relationship with your child you need to actually spend time with them. I think young children need their mothers.

But most often "choices" about working, or having children, or anything personal, is not always a choice per se.

I am really glad Australian law recognises financial contribution in a relationship three ways: 1. paid work, 2. unpaid work 3. parenting (and we know how exhausting and unpaid that is). It ensures we have less children living in poverty and very few homeless children.

wylie and Gockie like this.
  16. Antoni0

Yes in Australia, it was a grape orchard then went into strawberries. They both owned the farm at that stage and my grandparents lived close by on an adjoining property. It was a tough childhood, not much time for homework.

17. Antoni0

It might be some deal that's offered to upper management, I'm really unsure but when I run into her again I'll ask more questions.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So really, you were making totally unfounded claims...

19. Antoni0

I've been in the same boat with unstable work for the past 10 years and there's not many jobs that are secure these days either. The stable work I've had prior was very low paid. Money shouldn't be the main focus in any family in my opinion but they way other people choose to live has very little to do with me.

20. Antoni0

I don't expect people I know quite well to lie to me if you can comprehend that.