Fave Money Apps / Cash Management setup?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by Maychi, 4th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Maychi

Maychi Member

Looking to hear how others setup their finances to manage cash flow / spending / saving and tracking.

What apps or setups do you use or tools you find useful?

Personally looking into switching to UP Bank for everyday spending as they have a joint account with split % income transfers, and 86400 for savings as apparently they have a good interest rate.

We use Money Brilliant to get an idea of our accounts, assets and expenses. Used to use our own zero-based budget excel sheet but find its outdated and hard to update now that we’ve had a baby and moved cities.

How does your setup work for you?

2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

86400 is at 1.2%

AMP and ING are at 1.35%

Of course, depending how much savings you are talking about that may or may not make a difference and in anycase they are usually capped at normally 250k or sometimes 100k (ING).

I have about dozen different savings accounts, most with zero dollars in them at any point in time.
    They are easy enough to open online and I just rotate cash to whichever has the best offer at the time.

Mozo seems to be the best comparator tool I've found so far.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Microsoft Excel .... plus significant other who is an accountant

The Y-man

craigc likes this.
  4. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Life got easy when I realised to split personal from investments and business.

1. Personal - I'm terrible now but use to track with an app. These days I just pay myself X and put in buckets (varying accounts). Don't need to watch funds after this. I just spend what's in the account.

I worked out what I need to spend in each area. Have a fat splurge account so don't count the coffees.

Outgoings are repeating. Mobile, health insurance, etc. Copy paste.

2. Property - one bank account. Money in, Money out. Some accounts have more than 1 Property. Real Estate agency pays most outgoings on my behalf. Some accounts have more than 1 property.

I suppose it would help to have an email account dedicated to property, would make easier for tax time. I simply download CSV from bank, tidy up and send to accountant.

3. Shares / Crypto - bit of a mess. I have crypto (worth nothing now) all over. Likely miss a few losses I could write off. Would be better to centralise under 1 or 2 accounts.

4. Business - 1-2 bank accounts per business. Each represents different tax implications eg. With GST, without GST. Straight into Xero.

Each item is broken down to Cost Code. Also have a tracker column to split projects. Can see overall health of business, and of individual projects.

I use to try track my investments as part of my personal accounts. Gets messy and gives a false sense of income.

Best to treat investments as a different entity that makes its own money.

You lend to and from that entity (like borrowing from a bank or friend).

Keep it transactional.

Don't spend your dragons, spend your dragons children's eggs. Reinvest your investments.

I'm poor. My investments do alright.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Once upon a time a high interest CMA was the go. Now the rates being paid are truly trivial. The best account can sometimes be a offset as it will save interest at the lender rate without being taxed on any benefit. Even if a 3% loan benefit for a high income earner means a small loss of tax deduction the net benefit is 1.59%. For a non-deductible loan (eg home) then the offset benefit is 3%.

The merits of a offset must also be balanced with the loan product cost. A higher rate for a premium loan may make no sense if the offset savings are minor.