Farming practices and their impact on the environment

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 24th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LVR

LVR Well-Known Member

I find it strange that people will try to shame Australia for our level of CO2 emmissions, while at the same time never calling out by name India or China?, or downplay their contribution because their "per capita" rate is lower despite their massive volume.
    If we are so worried about our per capita number (even though we provide not even 1% of total emmissions); why are we pushing for more and more population? This would surely only make it worse?
    Incidentally; the USA have dropped their emmissions by 20%, while also withdrawing from the Paris Accord. The saving is colossal. We could do the same, and free up enormous funds for studies and programs into better farming practices and assistance.

Phar Lap likes this.
  2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I'm all for less population, I'm a bit of a misanthrope if you hadn't noticed ;)

To be honest I personally have no idea what the Paris Accord is so am not in a position to comment either way, I will add that to my list of things to read up on.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A 14% drop, and not while drawing from the Paris Accord - a 14% drop since 2005 largely due to an increase in the use of natural gas rather than coal. EIA: U.S. Carbon Emissions Fall Again in 2017, ‘Mainly’ Because of Natural Gas - EID Climate – A Project of IPAA

That decrease appears to have almost bottomed out.

The US has signalled that they want to use more coal in the future, which would increase CO2.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Okay - this thread is about farming practices, not a general discussion thread about debating whether climate change is real. Further discussions which are not specific to farming will be removed.

5. Propagate

Seeing as you started the thread on my behalf, can you please check you PM from the other day where I asked to change the thread title?

I had no interest in debating farming practices yet the thread was split from another thread and titled by yourself but being that it’s my post first it looks like I’ve started the thread.

Please change the thread title to something that covers general environmental issues and it’ll hopefully continue as an interesting discussion.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

But you were debating farming practices when you posted that originally, and I have made it clear in the first post that it was split by a moderator.

This thread should not be about general environmental issues - but I'm happy for you to start a new thread on that topic if you like.

This thread is about whether wethers have an effect on the weather :p (sorry, just had to do it)

7. Propagate

I don't want to start a new topic, I didn't want to start this one.

Like I said in my PM to you when I first saw that it had been created, it's not a thread I would ever have started as a farming or farming ethics or vegan v meat thread is simply too emotive a subject, it never ends well on a forum.

That first post was made in the context of the original thread it was made in, by it being the first post in a new thread about farming it comes across like I'm on a animal ethics rant which sets the tone for the rest of the thread.

It's been an interesting thread though, even if the forum now thinks I'm some weird tree hugging vegan hippy because of it.

spludgey likes this.
  8. LVR

LVR Well-Known Member

Malcolm Roberts
    Better farming practices won't mean zip if this occurs.

9. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Making people stop eating animal product is a fairy tale dream that will never become reality in my opinion, based upon the history of populations to date that have preferred to eat meat along with their veggies but only a small minority of people who prefer to eat just veggies only.
    Sorry, minority will not rule the day with this, so called, "problem".

City folks need to get out into the bush for awhile and see what really happens.
    You'd be surprised at just how environmentally friendly most farmers are. Im talking the successful ones, not the ones who suffer thru drought etc.
    Drought should be catered for in calculations by farmers and factor in a decent drought every 7 years or so generally. Even factor in a flood or two as well.
    I know many farmers who brush off these events as part and parcel of their long term activities, and rightly so.

Wish TC was still posting...he'd be busting to contribute to this thread for sure.
    ;)

LVR likes this.