Farming practices and their impact on the environment

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 24th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Mmmmkaaayyyy.....?

Ok, lets do it....who goes first?

2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

You have no idea what my body is telling me !

The audacity!

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Two parents - we had one child ... and humus building on my farm

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2018
  4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

So when smokers and drug addicts are jonesing for a *** or hit i guess that’s just their bodies telling them what they need too?

5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Humans ate meat from day one it's as natural as breathing.

Since all evolution is evil.

Do you live in a cave and hunter gather ? Because that it is the only sustainable method of living.

6. 738

738 Well-Known Member

Curious...do you own any leather goods propagate?

7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

We need farmers, I think they should be supported in times of drought, but - I often wonder if they think about the viability of their properties before buying them or continue to hand down to their progeny, after all Australia's history is of 'droughts and flooding rains'.

If you think about this sector and become depressed then just take a look at ABC's Landline where our forward looking farmers are innovative and thinking about the future, it gives me hope for better farming methods using today's ever expanding new technology, i.e. NBN ... :)

krispy, Lizzie and Propagate like this.
  8. Propagate

Yes, all bought before I gave up on animal products. I won’t replace any with more leather but I’ll wear out what I already own.

spludgey and 738 like this.
  9. Propagate

We did, but not at the amounts we currents eat. Early humans ate very little meat.

The science is all readily available online if you have a Google around.

Meat and dairy at the levels we currently consume them is detrimental to human health, the WHO has classified red meat as a probable carcinogen and processed meats as a Class 2 carcinogen.

Milk is full of IGF1 human growth hormone which is strongly linked to cancer.

Something that never occurred to me, which seems do obvious now, is that we’re the only species that drinks the milk of another species.

We’re the only species that continues to drink milk passed weening age.

The thought of drinking your own mother’s milk as an adult (or any other human mile) disgusts people yet we find it no only acceptable but normal to drink another animals milk?

Cows milk is specifically designed to take a baby cow from birthweight to 400kg in a short period of time. Research is now showing that the growth hormones and proteins in milk that do this to the calf are triggering and feeding human cancers, makes sense when you think about it, I topped out at 87kg so what’s that milk that designed to take a calf to 400kg going to do now?

If we’re so evolved to eat meat and dairy why are they making us sick and why is a huge percent of the population lactose intolerant?

I’ll pre empt the next typical responses...

Canines - our teeth aren’t proper canines. Tell me your teeth and jaw is capeabke if tearing the skin of a cows neck open and ripping out chicks if it’s raw flesh.

Our jaws move side to side, like all herbivores, for grinding down plant matter between our molars.

We’re omnivores, we can eat and digest most things, meat included, doesn’t mean to say it’s optimum.

True carnivores jaws only move up and Shen for tearing flesh and have proper canine teeth.

Protein - All protein comes from plants. Eating animals just means we get it second hand. Eating animal protein doesn’t automatically become human protein, the body has to first break it down in amino acids then rebuild it back into protein. This is harder work for the body than breaking down the amino acids plant proteins.

Gorillas have huge teeth and no issues with protein deficiency or packing in muscle and aside from a few ants here and there they’re herbivores.

If we’re supposed to, and so evolved to eat meat then where’s our prey drive? When you watch a cooking show and they’re roasting a chicken or bbq’ing a steak abd neither look like the original animal, our bellies start to rumble in readiness for that delicious taste, yet watch a nature documentary when a lion cashed down and rips into a dear and most people look away. If we were true carnivores we’d be staring at the tv drooling as the lions are tucking into that fresh flesh.

If anyone has enough interest to keep reading this and has Netflix, watch:-

Food Inc. - highlights modern GMO and Cafo farming in the USA and what Monsanto are doing to traditional farmers.

Fed Up. - the state of the USA school lunch system and how business and lobbyists have dictated what the modern western diet is.

Forks Over Knives - based in The China Study, which is a fascinating book. The doco is a bit more accessible than the book for those that aren’t big readers

Cowspiricy - fascinating documentary on many levels.

Before anyone says “yes, that the USA though”, it happens here too but not at the same level.

This is before even touching on animal ethics and welfare. There’s a documentary coming out soon called Dominion which will open a lot of eyes (and hopefully minds).

Ever wondered why vegans don’t eat eggs? Google it, that was one of the big eye openers for me. Chicks are born roughly equal male female ratio. Males are a by product, egg chickens arent the same as broilers so they’re not grown on for meat, males simply aren’t good for anything so every year in Australia 12,000,000 male one day old chickens are thrown live into maccerators and ground up. No joke.

A lot of people on here (which is why I’ve never wanted to start a thread in it, Simon started this one by splitting off a post of mine from another thread) are so quick to judge me as some weird hippy greenie. That’s fine, I don’t care, all I’ll say is I was exactly the same 18 months ago. I threw all the same insults and questions and weird vegans too, then for some reason I asked myself why I thought and ate the way I did and the inky answer I came up with is because that’s what my parents did and what tv and advertising tells me. So I started reading and following the money and what I have learned has shocked me in many ways.

I don’t give a rats how much meat and dairy anyone eats, I do care about the amount of miss information that’s spouted all day long from all angles. Meat is business, meat and dairy make a lot of people a lot of money, it’s not in their interests for the general public to form an opinion other than what they want you to believe.

Millenials aren’t turning to plant based diets in droves because they’re all touchy feely softies, it’s because they’re the first generation to have ease of access to information at their fingertips and the information is all out there, they’re questioning the status quo and not liking the answers.

krispy and spludgey like this.
  10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a hypocrite that way! Vegetarian, though dairy is nearly as bad as meat, whether you're looking at it from a global warming, animal cruelty, habitat destruction, etc perspective.
    I've also got two cats and I buy cat food for them.

Cudos to you being vegan, I should be too, but I'm too selfish.

krispy and Propagate like this.
  11. spludgey

Gorillas are virtually exclusively herbivores and their canines are scary as hell!

Propagate likes this.
  12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Taking this one further
    Our planet has a set amount of water right
    Yet in a 72-kg human body contains 40 litres of fluid, which amounts to 62.5% water.
    So we humans are storing water, in ever increasing amounts as the population balloons.

So there isn't enough water circulating in the atmosphere, and if our population keeps growing how long before the rivers run dry.....

(Sadly WE are the problem)

13. spludgey

It's like with flat earthers, it's hard to tell which ones actually believe that stuff...

Just out of interest as how small the proportion really is, I ran the numbers.
    There's roughly 1.4 * 10^18kg of water in the world. Assuming 40kg of water per person (which is probably an overestimate) 3 * 10^11kg, or to put it in another way 0.00002% of water is stored in humans.

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2018
    Stoffo likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hey @Stoffo - we're both full of it. ;)

Stoffo likes this.
  15. spludgey

Yes, I subtracted the two of you in my calculations, as it's certainly not water that you're full of!:p

Stoffo and Scott No Mates like this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's ok, nothing to worry about.

We're cutting down enough rainforests to keep the water balance.

Propagate and spludgey like this.
  17. spludgey

So because one place on earth supposedly used to be hot, global warming isn't happening? :rolleyes:

A 2C increase does not mean that every place is warmer by 2C throughout the year, it means that the global average temperature over the course of a year is 2C warmer. Some places may get colder and there's even a potential risk that the prevailing warm winds to Europe may stop or change, making Europe significantly colder.

Propagate likes this.
  18. LVR

LVR Well-Known Member

and global warming alarmists don't cherry- pick data to fit a narrative? They do, and not only that; they also use either a very small selected window of time (as we often see in in their reporting on temperatures changes), and/or use a "prediction model" as the basis to support an argument.
    My example was just one where the temperature range is taken over the entire record-keeping period. There are plenty of others from many other record keeping locations around the world.
    Farming has been conducted in drought conditions since the first Australian farms were set up. That's why there have been extensive irrigation canals set up over the decades to get water to various locations.

19. LVR

LVR Well-Known Member

I find this intriguing. One one hand, we hear global warming believers often say that because a place (or places) go up in temperature it is proof of global warming.
    But then, we see a situation where there are colder temperatures recorded in a place (or places), but their response is along the lines of "oh; but this is an anomaly; the temperatures are still going up".
    I witnessed this exact scenario on ABC news a few weeks ago where the lowest maximum temperatures for the day were on target to beat the previous lowest maximum temperatures for that region - on record. The weather guy then added into his report that of course it in no way meant that there isnt any global warming.

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member