Food & Dining Farmers markets?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bran, 25th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

We (as neighbours) have been approached for community feedback for a Farmer's Markets to be held in the local state school. It is proposed to be held Sunday, weekly, from 7-1pm.

I'm curious as to what others would think, in case my voice makes a difference.

We are about 10 houses, or 200m from the school, the school/cafe traffic is definitely already there, but not a huge issue and doesn't bother us - but increased traffic and parking congestion are the main concerns (parking can be a little tight if you leave at a bad time). I'm also a bit precious, and don't really want increased traffic at whatever time the stalls/trucks need to set up on a Sunday morning. The effect on traffic might be worse than the school as the 'market catchment area' is probably larger than the school - but it's a finite time frame one day a week.

It's overall a yes for us I think. We can wander up on a Sunday to pick up our veges, hopefully grab breakfast/coffee and enjoy this addition to our local amenities. We love doing this, but usually get in the car to travel to West End, Red Hill, Mount Gravatt East...

What do you folks think? Good/bad, and good/bad for property values/desirability?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Really good for the vibe of the area if it is well done, so I would say 'yes'.

Barny, big max, Chabs and 3 others like this.
  3. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Great idea, we support the local one here buying as much as we can.Not all the stall holders are "local" to where we live, but i think thats irrelevant. Support the community that supports you!!!

Barny, big max, Foxy Moron and 2 others like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think I would say yes as well, add community spirit to the street.
    Also only 1 day per week, I really cant see this devaluing property values.

Now if they had approval for a Macdonalds then it would be a different kettle of fish

Joynz and Bran like this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Just reread the letter - the company also runs the Stones Corner Street Market, Stones Corner Festival, Calamvale Markets and RSPCA quarterly markets.

It's to include farmers produce, craft, hot food vendors, coffee van, cold beverages, live music and a childrens zone with jumping castle, face painting and board games area.

Sounds pretty good. Anyone know the Calamvale Markets? The Stones Corner Festival is great.

Edit: Bugger the traffic. 'If you can't beat it, join it.'

I think the community will nearly wholeheartedly support it.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2016
    Westminster, Steven Ryan and MTR like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

At my local farmers market, they have a donation for entry (optional I think) that goes to Rotary - so doubly good.

MTR likes this.
  7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Traffic is a nightmare. I live 500m from one.

But we frequent it and it's only 1 day a month.

8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'd request a fattened pig presented in a brown paper bag once a year.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. Ed Barton

My folks live in the area. The only market close I know of is the Kuraby one. There was a night market thing, in the carpark of that failure of a shopping centre next to the pub. I think it was a street food type thing, but I suspect it's closed.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

One thing is suggest depending on your community is the start time is early.7 means theyll likely want stalls operational and no more setting up after 7.that means early trucks cars people. Depends how that affects you and the area.

Suggest an 8am start but really varies .
    our markets we had a stall at started at 9 but that was waiting for the city slickers to arrive ;) (1 hr+drive away) people were setting up before 7 though

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I really, really have to bite my tongue on this one.

http://calamvalefarmersmarkets.com.au/

12. Ed Barton

Me too. Pig's tongue is not tasty. If you're a vego request a brown paper bag full of tofu. You could always request folding stuff. <insert smiley to denotate sarcasm>

There you go. If it was cheap my dad would be talking about it. If it was quality my mum would be talking about it. Neither has, so I suspect it's a waste of space.

13. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

I'd be wanting to know about sound restrictions on set up - cars and trucks aren't too bad - metal hammer on metal pegs as they set up marquees will carry. Also decibel level of music and what time (maybe suggest 8am start on anything amplified).

14. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I think it's a major positive for property. Anyone looking at buying in the area would be attracted by this and indeed agents can use it as a drawcard to buyers.

15. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I would add they do this on the Gold Coast in a few locations. In all the places they started doing it prices really are strong - goes with the whole hipster/cafe type scene. It's a positive for sure.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Clicked on the link as I have never heard of it. No location shown or any information, only a phone number and a form to fill in ?? Sounds as if they have registered the name but that is all.
    Marg

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Maybe. The Facebook page looked a little more vibrant. I'll message some friends who have liked the page. Maybe it's a new venture also

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

It's on. Send them down for a review ;)

Calamvale Markets

Or maybe Ill go down myself, except it's winter this weekend (two days only!) and I only own shorts.

bob shovel likes this.
  19. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

As long as it is a real farmers market. We had the problem here of people having stalls at farmers markets where they were basically reselling stuff bought from the wholesale markets, that sort of stall really changes the vibe of the market. There is an organisation here in Vic to support real farmers markets.

Home

Bran likes this.
  20. Ed Barton

I would, but they're off SKIng (Spending Kids Inheritance) again. I think they're in India, or perhaps the UK.

Bran likes this.