Farm House Reno pics - finally!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Allgood, 24th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Finally getting around to putting up some pics of our PPOR renos. As usual, what started out to be a small job kinda grew. We pulled up the tiles to check wooden floorboards, realised they were no good so got a new screed played and put floaters over the top. Thought we'd replace architraves and skirts with something thicker but then decided that while they were off we'll gyprock the old masonite walls, too, and add cornices. Also new doors and lighting, filled in a window and doorway and added a fireplace for those cool winter months.

We also strengthened some of the walls because the noggins were probably made out of off-cuts 100 years ago - its amazing what you find when you pull the walls apart!

Anyhoos, I'm really happy with the finished product, now for the extensions! - Sorry about the poor picture quality, pics were taken at night so the house looks much darker than it is.

Last edited: 25th Jan, 2016
    Redwing, dmo, bob shovel and 9 others like this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wow, great work. Wish I knew how to do that stuff.

3. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Looks good. Like the style of the kitchen. Nice colour scheme very cosy feeling :D

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Nice work :)

5. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

Sensational. I also wish I had those skills.

6. Allgood

Thanks guys. I should confess that I had a plasterer set the corners and add the cornices, a floor guy lay the flooring abd a sparky do the lights.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Looks awesome
    Where did you get the kitchen?

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

And I love the colour of the walls. What brand/name of colour?

9. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

It's just beautiful. What kind of floorboards do you have?

10. Allgood

Bran, the kitchen was already in, a kitchen mob put it in about 7 years ago. We just changed the handles and we've closed off a door into another room so we got some doors made up to match and we added more pantry cupboards where the door was.

Umm, Grey? lol. I forget the name of it, I'll check tonight and get back to you. I've used other greys in the past but some have been too brown or too blue. This one was very neutral. My 7 year old daughter chose it for her room and we liked it so much we used it throughout the whole house!

They're a spottled gum hardword floater from Harvey Norman Flooring. They actually look much lighter than the pictures show.

We so desperately wanted to stick with the original old wide floorboards but when we pulled the tiles up they just weren't good enough. We considered jacking up the corner of the house to fix the slope, but they were all over the place. It's a shame because they would have looked amazing.

BigKahuna likes this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Great job! Nice floor and colours! Shame about the floors but not a lot you can do, you need to draw the line somewhere I guess. Looks great though

Why are there so many joins in ceiling? Lot of setting up nice and high