Family home in Willagee

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by MJB, 1st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJB

MJB Member

I know people talk about buying investment property in Willagee but what is it like to buy a family home there. would we loose money on a larger house on big block say 800sqm + looking to pay low 800's just dont know the pros and cons for resale later. It ticks all boxes location size etc has R60 zoning also.
    Would appreciate feedback thanks in advance

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

$800k in Willagee? Uh why wouldn't you just buy into one of the better neighbouring suburbs at that price? Winthrop for example.

Who cares about R60 if you're just going to use it as a home?

3. MJB

MJB Member

I guess im just wondering about the suburb in general as I know there are a lot of properties in the 500,000-700,000 but not so many higher than that. We would be living there for a minimum of 5 years possibly the next 15 but not sure that homes that big would be desirable in this location.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What attracts you to that suburb?

5. thatbum

So you're not being very clear about your priorities are here. Do you want to know if its a good place to live with a family - or do you want to know if buying something like that is financially a good idea?

I mean for $800k, the answer's probably no for both anyway I suppose.

6. MJB

MJB Member

Initially looking in Melville, love everything around the area for convenience but stumbled across Willagee, I know there are areas not so desirable in there and would steer clear of them however im just not sure of the higher price bracket properties as to whether they are going to be hard to move in a few years. our main draw to the area is more bang for your buck.

7. MJB

MJB Member

Family of 5 with teenage kids who probably wont be there longer than 5-8 years and then we will probably downsize, so i suppose its both priorities, house is large and great quality but we will rattle round it when all the kids go so would like to know if we would have a problem selling this sort of property on.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think its called the Campbell Estate? Which is most desirable pocket. Phone some of the selling agents to find out more on this

Also be wary of R60 zoning, as it only applys if land size meets criteria, not many will meet this. Check with Council not selling agents, they wont know or wont tell you this

9. thatbum

Well you get more bang for you buck there because its a less well regarded suburb. So that's a personal decision whether you want to make that trade off. If it was me spending $800k on a family home, I'd be spending it instead in nearly any other neighbouring suburb - Kardinya, Winthrop, Murdoch, etc.

If you're worried about resale value in the future, well I'd be concerned too since you're always going to have issues with property growth or even holding value when you've got better options nearby for similar prices, and you're well above the suburb median price bracket.

If you've heard the saying about buying the worst house in the best street - well in a way you're buying the best house in the worst street.

Ketsle likes this.
  10. MJB

MJB Member

Thank you, the land size is around 880sqm i think so will double check thanks again

11. MJB

MJB Member

Yes that is what i was worried about thanks for the info