Cars & Motorbikes Family car suggestions

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 30th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

This sounds like a very elaborate joke but we're still waiting for the punch line. None of what you said relates to why the incident occurred, which you didn't happen to see and also some how its the fault of the car??

2. bob shovel

But still that 25k car is going to drop (following off the kluger example ) after 3 years to being worth 12k. Why not just buy after 3 and keep for 7 years? Your losing half your money in the first 3 years. Let the companies that buy them take that loss, it keeps the country turning

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There were 3 cars driving in a convoy, I was in the last car, quite a lott further back and this was one of the cars up ahead. I really don't know what happened except the car ended up on its side. I don't know what might have caused it but it was a near new car. This is one of very few Great Walls I have ever seen on the road, so it just doesn't give me a good impression of them.

4. bob shovel

So when one of your tenants has a house fire you will agree with them when they say it was the house's fault??

Bayview likes this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I never implied that the driver intentionally did anything.

I implied that the car was flipped by operator error somehow.

6. Bayview

Let's say a new car is $50k brand new.

The 1 year old version is say; $40k (20% depreciation in year 1). It is still basically a brand new car, low km's.

That's $10k saved on the cost of the car for a start, and whatever the interest saved will be on the loan over 3 or 5 years.

This might translate to a further $12k available for other debt reduction, or towards an IP deposit etc.

7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I enjoy doing the Bayrun in my spare time, and can I say that even though people live in mutli-million dollar homes overlooking the water and have yachts/boats just in front of their houses, they all seem to drive ordinary cars. Unless they have a Ferrari parked inside the garage but to date, I have yet to see a supercar there.

8. Bayview

Yep; you only have to read "The Millionaire Next Door" to get where I'm coming from with all this.

jins13 likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I tend to think some cars are safer than others.
    Its just very odd that her car flipped. I only know of one other time someone I know of a car flipping and that's my brother in law going around a corner, probably too fast. Knowing he was probably not long off his P plates at the time I think has something to do with that. (That was a mid 1980's Ford Laser in case you are wondering, that car probably about 12 years old at the time).
    So this very random car flip just 2 years ago in a near new car just makes me think the car wasn't all that safe. If she hit a gutter or something it should not be enough to cause it to flip. And she wouldn't have been driving erratically by nature as her mum and daughter were also in the car. I've even driven a campervan in the wind, feels unsafe but I don't see or hear of these vehicles flipping...
    Perhaps some mechanical fault, I don't know.

I wont go and ask her what happened though as it wouldn't be a nice thing to do....

10. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

My wife bought a new 2012 Captiva diesel LTZ and absolutely loved it until it ended up on its roof (through no fault of the car :rolleyes:). After lots of test driving and researching looking for a replacement she decided to go for another one because they have great torque, was a good size for her (not too big) and had all the bits for 35 grand where comparables were considerably more. She loves the new one just as much, even more so because it's still in one piece :D.

I agree the older captivas and the Maxx were woeful, and I think the petrol versions are slow and thirsty but the diesel's great. The only fault I've experienced is that the grey mudguards fade :(. I still prefer to drive my old commie though because it handles much better!

11. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I have a 2013 Forester and i love it. Have owned it since new, spacious, great off road (rural inspections and sand driving) ,economical on fuel and awesome for long trips. I wold buy another without hesitation.

12. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

I vote one of the new toyota futuras - Great cars!

13. Bayview

Look a lot like a Kluger on the tv ads.

14. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Pre 2006 Carnivals had engine problems. Ever since, they have been flawless.

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2016
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The Subarus are pretty good, nice and save with the all wheel drive.
    Did you go for the turbo?

16. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

No not turbo, could not afford it at the time. Power or lack there of has never been an issue for me though.

17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

no one else has got the same problems i do with the forester.... putting it down to the fact i picked up a brand new lemon :(
    (This is all city driving too, no offroad or punishing tasks).

18. bob shovel

Drive shaft sounds odd to be replaced. Do you know why? What was the problem?

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

No idea. Speaking to the technician apparently it does happen and they have replaced a few.
    Does getting rear ended affect the driveshaft?

1st time was 1 month after getting the car (Feb 2013), we both were stopped waiting to turn left at one of those "turn left at anytime with care".... for whatever reason he assumed i was going to move and he runs into the rear of my car so that time i got hit pretty hard.

2nd time was 6 months ago, i had to brake so that I wouldn't get flashed by those "safety cams" (i probably could have made the light safely, but didn't want to risk it). The guy behind me thought I was going to to go, so he was accelerating (he wasn't aware there was a camera there), but did brake, just not in time, so it was closer to a nudge (bumper bar was still dented though).

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well if you're not rallying or planning a ram raid you should be right.