Cars & Motorbikes Family car suggestions

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 30th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I agree Forester lacks the fun factor inside.
    SUV"s height is really nice to have when you need to buckle up kids.

2. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Does anyone have an opinion on new Mitsubishi outlander? Seem cheap right now, maybe there's a reason?

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

"Outlandish" claims perhaps?

Touristy likes this.
  4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Skoda Superb, flies under the radar, will take the 3 seats and great bang for your buck.

5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's still the same but my Sister in law had one of these a number of years back, the 4 cyl motor was simply too underpowered for the vehicle size and you ended up using more fuel than it was worth. Cheap to buy, expensive to run.

6. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Yes I did think it was strange having a 2lt in there but hadn't driven one yet. No one had really commented on them yet so was wondering?

7. Dan Donoghue

In my opinion the twin turbo diesel Mazda CX5 is an amazing motor, you can pick up a 2013 for under 25K.

My folks have one and so do we, it is honestly the first diesel that has ever impressed me, it is so linear in power delivery and it feels like a petrol, none of that diesel fade off through the rev range.

We get around 7 L/100 urban driving from it.

Power
    Generated engine power measured in kilowatts
    129kW @ 4500rpm

Torque
    The 'pulling power' of a vehicle, measured in Newton metres (Nm)
    420Nm @ 2000rpm <-- note no upper limit listed as no fade off thanks to the twin turbo setup.

Petrol Outlander for comparison:

Power
    110kW @ 6000rpm

Torque
    190Nm @ 4200rpm <-- get your revs up before you get any grunt from the thing. Even then, no where near as much grunt as a turbo'd diesel

The torque is way way down

Diesel outlander for like for like comparison:

Power
    110kW @ 3500rpm

Torque
    360Nm @ 1500-2750rpm <-- note 1500 - 2750, after that it fades off and is powerless. A common problem for single turbo diesels (also VERY obvious in the Territory when driving it)

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2016
  8. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Brand new outlander for 28k retail. Would you get a 3 year old cx5 with 60ks on it over new outlander?

Thanks for the great info though Dan. Just not sure it's apples vs apples with price difference new. 43k for diesel cx5? Not much fun comparing all these cars

9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Very good mileage...

We get 11L/100 from our Kluger - and that's not urban driving. :eek: (but I still love the car).

10. Dan Donoghue

To be honest, yes "I" would. I know it's a big call but the CX is a better vehicle in my opinion.

It is of course up to the individual, it's hard for me to put myself in the situation as one thing i never buy is base model cars so the brand new outlander at $28K is something I would never consider but my needs are very different to everyone else's (I mean seriously my new car is a 2 seater toy :p).

If a brand new outlander ticks all the boxes for you and power / fuel consumption is not a concern for you then it's the right car for you.

If the power / fuel is a concern for you then consider the diesel but understand about the fade off (only really a pain when you want to overtake someone).

If the fade off AND the fuel economy / Power is a concern for you then maybe consider something else.

From memory of my Sister in laws, structurally it was good, throughout the time she had it it never developed any rattles or anything and I think she had it for a good 5 years or so.

Vehicle choice is a very personal thing, I knew a guy who bought a Great Wall Motors ute and he absolutely loved it. This is a brand I would never consider personally in a million years but it's all horses for courses :).

Klugers are a V6 yes? That's okay mileage for a 6 :). Ours is only as low as it is because it's a Diesel :).

Touristy likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Bitsofshitty.

Westminster likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.