Cars & Motorbikes Family car suggestions

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 30th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Need to purchase a depreciating asset for the wife. I'm leaning towards a kluger, fairly heavy lean. Had one for work previously and liked it.....especially the fuel card! :(

Any other suggestions for similar? Family wagon to suit car seats etc. 3 kids ones across the back.
    Pickles in Perth have a couple ready to go

I have looked at a few others - Mazdas i don't like them, look big on the outside but small in (not sure why they are popular??)
    Cativa felt smallish, territory not a fan.

One that's fairly different but i liked was the forrester, awd 4cyl plus felt like a decent amount of room for something smaller. Couple of things letting the klugs down is the v6 and bulkyness.the mrs previously had a camry which was good but want some extra space now

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Mr shovel depends on your budget. One of the better cars are the Holden SS wagon, brilliant.
    Or my favourite BMW X5

mr500 likes this.
  3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

4. bob shovel

Ss wagon I'd go for but not the mrs! X5 is a yes but budget is <25k. Can get a 2013 klugs for that, so that's where i set the bar. Even that's to much for a taxi! :p i need cash aside for a new landcruiser!:D

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Steer away from the Territory and the Captiva. Both have a healthy lemon rating - add all the Jeeps to that too.

Subie Forester will fit 3 car seats across the back if you get the right brand of seat, the Subie Exiga has a weird set up with 4 seats in the back and is an awesome mum car, Subie Tribeca also very nice and on par with a Kluger but not the cheapest to run.

I like Subies :) But the Kluger is popular for a reason and there is plenty of second handers on the market.

And umm don't you only have 2 kids?

Corey Batt likes this.
  6. Westminster

I should add the Hyundai Sante Fe diesel model. Had one of those and it was brilliant. Sold it to my friend 4yrs ago and it's still going strong.

Phantom likes this.
  7. bob shovel

@myf that's a nice one! I was just looking at the auctions (Fixed price to) so i can walk in pick one, then walk out with a car! :p no shopping around Perth, just have a nice limited selection!
    Looking to the future in case the buggers multiply! :eek:

Westminster likes this.
  8. bob shovel

I think i saw one of those today when we went into the big smoke to go to the zoo. I'll check it out. I'll look into car sales some more

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Kia Sorento is in budget, and come with 7 year warranty so you should have some warranty left over with used car.
    I'd still spend a weekend convincing the Mrs on the SS. Then when she says yes, slap an exhaust on it, throw in a lumpy cam and tune.
    Fully ******* bro

10. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Disagree with the Ford Territory bashing, I have one and was comparing to the Kluger when I made the purchase. It was significantly cheaper, has a noticeably bigger boot, and more power when you put the foot down. Ours is a 2010, had it for 5 years with no more than minor services and tyres. Only downside I have found is the fuel economy.

11. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

She has you.. for free. May be that's the problem.

Bayview likes this.
  12. Westminster

13. bob shovel

That's a good deal! Thanks for the local link. I better start looking properly . I had a hilux turbo diesel ute for work and thought they were great, they're not a truck diesel anymore they are nice to drive and fuel economy rarely changed even fully loaded

14. bob shovel

Ha! I wish! :(

15. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

If you could stretch a little more i would go for a 2nd hand prado! Could pick up a 2nd hand ex mining (cooperate not site used) for a reasonable price

16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

mate you convinced her to go out with ya right? Do the same with the car, make it happen.

17. bob shovel

Did consider a ladies landcruiser but to big for running around and i have a 100 series so we're covered for 4wding

Barny and Ardi like this.
  18. bob shovel

Haha probably not best to drink and drive! :p

Barny likes this.
  19. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Agree. Know someone who has one of these. Great car packed with feautres. Plenty of space and pretty good fuel consumption. 7 year unlimited km warranty too. Torquey diesel turbo engine.

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I drive a Forester
    Forester boot space is crap.
    Baby seats... got two in right now. No way a 3rd babyseat is getting in there.
    (Got Safe n Sound seats, those big ones with plastic moulding the side, so it probably is a bulkier than the other ones).

Sitting between the two car seats is worse than sitting on train from Cityrail.

I also probably got a lemon of a Forester, just had the driveshaft changed after 2.5 years (pure suburban driving - still under 25000 km).

bob shovel likes this.