NSW False Alarms

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by FireDragon, 1st Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

I need some advice from building / strata managers / fire protection companies, are you getting a lot of false alarms recently due to the hot weather and dust storm?

According to the company that maintain my building's fire system, we can't use thermal detector for common area. Just wondering if there is any solution to reduce false alarms?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2020
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

The only reason you should be getting false alarms is if the smoke detector is dusty or faulty - and they give out a tolerance signal for diagnostic purpose for example with the Notifier systems. (Nb. I note you said thermal detector - but I would imagine the principal for that technology would be the same). Also, these items have a life span of only like 5-10 years then [although they may still function fine] the manufacturer says they should be replaced to meet guarantee. At the end of the day, you need to listen to your appointed fire technician who is licenced and insured in this area, and if something doesn't sound right, don't hesitate to get a second opinion from a competing company - they will gladly help in an effort to win your business :p

3. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael. The detector was installed about 1 year ago.

The false alarm happened last week and the technician cleaned and removed the dust from the detector but the false alarms happened again today. The technician said it has been an issue at the moment with many buildings due to the dust storm. I may get a second opinion if it happens again.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member