Facebook

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by skater, 20th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Alrighty, I'm thinking about getting some pans...

I'm disinclined to get the stainless ones, but not sure if I should be resistant. I'm interested in the non-stick properties of a good seasoned iron pan... I am thinking the skillet and crepe pan bundle:
    31cm Raw Iron XHD Set - Australian made by Solidteknics

Is that a good starting point?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

If you don't have a good iron skillet, then that's a great place to start - everyone needs an iron skillet.

I have the 30cm, 26cm and 18cm satin iron skillets and use them all pretty much daily.

The raw finish is a bit cheaper than satin but requires a little more effort on the seasoning. Just be sure to read the seasoning instructions before starting - the raw pans come coated in beeswax for protection which needs to be removed first before seasoning.

The 31cm XHD should be great as a workhorse skillet - it's a little thicker than the pans I have (4mm vs 3mm), so heat retention should be better. But be warned - it will be HEAVY!

My wife doesn't like using my 30cm pan because she finds it too heavy - the 31cm XHD will be heavier still (2.65kg vs 2kg for my 30cm non-XHD). The trick is to use the "helper handle" with some oven mitts or something - it's definitely a two handed thing when moving it with food in.

I don't have any of the iron griddle lids - but I know plenty of people swear by them for pancakes and other grilling. Should do a good job for pizza too - if your oven is large enough to fit the handle in (my cheap 600mm oven isn't :( ... although my BBQ with hood does a better job)

Stainless is good for saucepans and rondeaus etc - especially when cooking acidic sauces and so on which would strip the seasoning off an iron skillet. The iron is ideal for frying and other general cooking.