"**** you" money

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by spludgey, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Was watching an add on retirement workshops, set around some seniors knitting, it was kind of depressing. Someone shoot if I go down this road:p

Here's some workshops on retirement if anyone is interested.;)
    Retirement Seminars, Retirement Courses and Retirement Workshops

2. big max

big max Well-Known Member

lol not sure about knitting. I would probably play a bit of poker from time to time, but the novelty would wear off - I would quickly gravitate towards something productive, I think.

MTR likes this.
  3. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

This is something i've been thinking a lot about lately. I reached financial independence about 5 months ago, and it left me somewhat disillusioned for quite some time, not ultra wealthy, just comfortable.

A few other friends are in the same boat. Having come from working class families we realised we were raised to work for this lofty goal of achieving stability and safety for our families. However we got there about 30 years earlier than expected.

I noticed a lot would self sabotage, create urgency out of nothing. A friend with the goal of living at a well known beach married a guy who inherited an entire apartment complex at said beach and now lives there, apartment paid off, rental income rolling in. Suddenly all these plans she had in place just seemed meaningless. A complete loss of purpose, the hard nights at the office, sacrifices not seeing family, what was it all for.

So what now...

Our conclusion, the answer is entirely up to you. Many just set higher financial goals, many still feel super unsafe and insecure, speaking for myself, I don't think that will change for me.

I have created a new purpose, not financially related, though I have higher financial aspirations also.

I definitely say 'fk you' to any sort of 'work' that doesn't align with my value system. It can be hard and miserable along the journey of completing a project, that i'm fine with, however if it is out of integrity with my beliefs I have no problem walking away, and have already done so.

Honestly I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the reasons many of us don't attain financial independence, is because subconsciously we are self sabotaging as we wouldn't have a purpose once we attained such a goal. We would no longer be able to say 'if only I didn't work or have to worry about money, I could do whatever I wanted'.

The biggest battle for me was realising I could no longer blame my environment, parents, lack of funds, etc for aiming for much bigger things. I have to fully face that I am in complete control of who I am and what i'm capable of. I have to take full responsibility for wherever I end up in life.

It's both empowering and scary as fk.

4. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

All I got was be an alpha if you want to screw all the females....

Barny likes this.
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

So, NHG, and it probably hasn't occurred to you in light of your post, but now is a huge opportunity for you to create a very unique PChat thread, and let us all know what you decide to do and how you go.